Tongan international prop Eddie Aholelei said he was honoured and humbled to have signed for London Welsh.
Aholelei, who joins from Super 15 side Melbourne Rebels, was yesterday announced as Oxford-based Welsh’s 22nd signing ahead of their return to the Aviva Premiership.
The 32-year-old, who has six caps, will join up with Tongan international teammate Taione Vea, Welsh’s recent signing from Wasps.
Aholelei said: “Firstly I would like to thank London Welsh for giving me this opportunity.
“I am honoured and humbled to be heading to England to represent the club in what is undoubtedly one of the toughest domestic competitions in world rugby, the Aviva Premiership.
“I know London Welsh has a very proud history and I’m looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead, both on and off the field.
“The move represents a fantastic chance for me to enjoy a fresh start and for my family to experience a different country and culture.
“I am looking forward to meeting the boys, the club staff and, of course, London Welsh’s faithful supporters.”
Exiles head coach Justin Burnell said: “Eddie is a Tongan international and I watched him first hand against Wales in the autumn at the Millennium Stadium.
“He’s got Super 15 experience, is a very big powerful man and is another excellent addition to our squad for next season.”
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four