Tongan international prop Eddie Aholelei said he was honoured and humbled to have signed for London Welsh.
Aholelei, who joins from Super 15 side Melbourne Rebels, was yesterday announced as Oxford-based Welsh’s 22nd signing ahead of their return to the Aviva Premiership.
The 32-year-old, who has six caps, will join up with Tongan international teammate Taione Vea, Welsh’s recent signing from Wasps.
Aholelei said: “Firstly I would like to thank London Welsh for giving me this opportunity.
“I am honoured and humbled to be heading to England to represent the club in what is undoubtedly one of the toughest domestic competitions in world rugby, the Aviva Premiership.
“I know London Welsh has a very proud history and I’m looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead, both on and off the field.
“The move represents a fantastic chance for me to enjoy a fresh start and for my family to experience a different country and culture.
“I am looking forward to meeting the boys, the club staff and, of course, London Welsh’s faithful supporters.”
Exiles head coach Justin Burnell said: “Eddie is a Tongan international and I watched him first hand against Wales in the autumn at the Millennium Stadium.
“He’s got Super 15 experience, is a very big powerful man and is another excellent addition to our squad for next season.”
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United women pay for individual errors as they lose late on to Everton
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw looking forward to competing at Spa
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL continue losing sequence away to Coventry Bears
- FOOTBALL: Mark Janes scores twice for Banbury United after signing from Didcot Town
- DARTS: Tributes paid to young Oxon player Ryan Bull after death at 20