Tongan international prop Eddie Aholelei said he was honoured and humbled to have signed for London Welsh.
Aholelei, who joins from Super 15 side Melbourne Rebels, was yesterday announced as Oxford-based Welsh’s 22nd signing ahead of their return to the Aviva Premiership.
The 32-year-old, who has six caps, will join up with Tongan international teammate Taione Vea, Welsh’s recent signing from Wasps.
Aholelei said: “Firstly I would like to thank London Welsh for giving me this opportunity.
“I am honoured and humbled to be heading to England to represent the club in what is undoubtedly one of the toughest domestic competitions in world rugby, the Aviva Premiership.
“I know London Welsh has a very proud history and I’m looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead, both on and off the field.
“The move represents a fantastic chance for me to enjoy a fresh start and for my family to experience a different country and culture.
“I am looking forward to meeting the boys, the club staff and, of course, London Welsh’s faithful supporters.”
Exiles head coach Justin Burnell said: “Eddie is a Tongan international and I watched him first hand against Wales in the autumn at the Millennium Stadium.
“He’s got Super 15 experience, is a very big powerful man and is another excellent addition to our squad for next season.”
- The derby games are great but it's not my problem, says Michael Appleton on Swindon Town's relegation
- Michael Appleton hails Oxford United's 'outstanding' display in victory over Millwall
- FOOTBALL: Jefferson Louis fires in-form Oxford City to third straight victory
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town and North Leigh enjoy final-day victories, but Banbury United, Wantage Town and Kidlington are beaten
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire hold on to win thriller against Cornwall
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith finishes just outside the points in Austin MotoGP
- WEEKEND RESULTS: April 22-23
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Millwall
- Millwall 0, Oxford United 3 (McAleny 6 & 8, Ruffels 71)
- UPDATES - Millwall v Oxford United