Lawrence Clarke remained upbeat despite missing out on the 110m hurdles in the Sainsbury's Glasgow Grand Prix at Hampden Park last night.
Clarke finished seventh in his heat in 13.54. His personal best is 13.31 and has run 13.41 this year.
“It was disappointing,” said Clarke.
“Recently I have been a bit unwell, but I thought I was over it.
“I felt very light-headed today. I don’t know if that was nerves or what. I was just very below average.” It is just two weeks before the Commonwealth Games in the same venue and he was impressed by the venue.
Clarke added: “Hampden is amazing – one of the best stages I have run on – but it is a very bouncy track– something you don’t expect on the circuit.”
And his full focus is on the Games.
He said: “They have been my target for four years – really my first ever senior target.
“The London Olympics came too soon, as did the Delhi Common wealth Games although I did manage to pick up a bronze medal. “I think it is going to be an amazing competition. Andrew Riley (Jamaica) who won my heat is Commonwealth.
“But I think there is scope to make the final”.
Clarke is next in action on Tuesday in Luzern and next Sunday competes in the London Anniversary Games in preparation for Glasgow.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe is front-runner in PFA poll for League Two player of the season
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to live up to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill's high praise
- FOOTBALL: Leaving North Leigh was not a decision I took lightly - manager Mark Gee
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Captain Kat Nutman leads by example as Oxford United beat Watford
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL suffer ninth-straight loss in Doncaster defeat
- FOOTBALL: Lewis Gabbidon lands double honour at Kidlington presentation night
- GOLF: Superb Adam Wootton wins CK Group PGA Kent Open Championship
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list