London Welsh head coach Justin Burnell is buzzing ahead of the new season – especially after his high-profile captures.
The Oxford-based Exiles this week signed Australian back row Lachlan McCaffrey and Argentina prop Pablo Henn.
But it was yesterday’s announcement that New Zealand scrum half Piri Weepu would join that really got the rugby world talking.
Burnell is understandably delighted, and expects three more new players before their season starts in September.
“I’m very excited, of course I am,” he said.
“It’s a real sign of intent because it shows we haven’t gone into the Aviva Premiership to just survive, but to compete.
“We’re nearly there regarding the squad – we’re about three signings away.”
Burnell revealed it was the pre-season trip to take part in the Singapore 10s that enabled Welsh to finalise the moves.
“It was an opportunity for us to see these top-class players in action first hand and, most importantly, speak to them in person,” he said.
“I think it showed that we are a good bunch of people who are very serious about what we want to achieve.”
And how difficult was it to persuade World Cup-winning scrum half Weepu to join?
“A few cheeky beers one night seemed to do the trick,” Burnell joked.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- RUGBY UNION: Former Oxford-based club London Welsh go into liquidation
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four