Oxfordshire went down to Worcestershire by two wickets in a low-scoring ECB 50+ County Championship encounter at Hagley Hall on Wednesday.
Oxon now need to beat Shropshire next week to make sure of qualifying for the knock-out stages.
After choosing to bat first, the visitors slumped to 83-9 before a last-wicket stand of 61 between Neil Megson and Ian Curtis helped them to 144-9, Megson finishing with 50 not out.
That total looked enough when Worcestershire collapsed to 85-7 against Curtis and Darryl Woods.
However, Gary Mills hit an unbeaten 44 to see them home by two wickets with an over to spare.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's FA Cup clash with Middlesbrough
- Oxford United's late FA Cup defeat is 'sickener' - Chris Maguire
- Middlesbrough 3 (Leadbitter 26, Gestede 34, Stuani 86), Oxford United 2 (Maguire 63, Martinez 65)
- UPDATES - Middlesbrough v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re not afraid of Boro and relishing a bumper away day
- Chris Maguire hopes Oxford United can grab the FA Cup headlines against Middlesbrough
- Oxford United players excited by enormous following for FA Cup tie, says Ryan Ledson
- ICE HOCKEY: Ben Payne back as Oxford City Stars seek double over Milton Keynes Thunder
- Bream come to top for Doug Robinson in Littlemore's Chandlers Cup
- SWIMMING: Formidable City of Oxford make it five county titles in a row