Despite being unable to qualify from their group, Oxfordshire finished their Middleton Cup campaign on a high note by beating Kent 113-104 at Halls BC, Dartford.
Trailing all the way, Oxon finished strongly to secure a 17-5 points victory and finish third in South Group Section B.
Things didn’t look good for Oxfordshire at the start as Kent big-hitters Gordon Charlton and Duncan Hanmore opened up early leads over Ian Snowdon and Alan Prew, whose fours dug in to finish 12 and one shot down respectively.
The rinks of Mark Sykes and Baden Sparkes were involved in close games, but some excellent play saw them claim victory by two and six shots respectively.
Paul Sharman, with under 25s star Shane Cooper stepping up to No 3, Paul Comley, in his first game for several years, and regular lead Lee Young won the final seven ends of their game to come from ten behind and draw 16-16 with Ken Weyand.
Mark Charlett, with Sam Watts, Kevin Alder and Gary May, another under 25 player, also moving to No 3, dominated against Paul Barnicott.
They won 15 of the 21 ends to record a crushing 28-12 victory, and ensure the overall success.
Kent 104 (5pts), Oxfordshire 113 (17)
(Kent rinks first)
Rink 1: K Moss, M Cheeseman, M Goord, S McCaughan 13, AJ Docherty, G Schwab, R Redford, M Sykes 15.
Rink 2: P Foster, S Woolford, G Allen, K Weyand 16, L Young, P Comley, S Cooper, P Sharman 16.
Rink 3: D Mason, G Bailey, L King, P Barnicott 12, S Watts, K Alder, G May, M Charlett 28.
Rink 4: S Coyle, A McIllmurray, P Field, P Martin 13, M Nash, C Weller, C Whitehead, B Sparkes 19.
Rink 5: M Fisher, L Shoobridge, T Monk, D Hanmore 18, K Holloway, I Henwood, C Carpenter, A Prew 17.
Rink 6: D King, C Smith, J Vane, G Charlton 32, D May, Re Clanfield, N Lewis, I Snowdon 18.
- HEADINGTON brothers Gary and Dean May meet in the Oxfordshire BA’s singles semi-final at Oxford City & County on Sunday.
Singles: G May (Headington) 21, P Sharman (Carterton) 9; D May (Headington) 21, D Taylor (Thame) 10; A Prew (Carterton) 21, S Cooper (Banbury Central) 5; Gr Moon (Banbury Borough) 21, M Charlett (Headington) 16.
Triples (10am): L Wilkinson, S Cooper, W Campion (Banbury Central) v D Clanfield, P Sharman, A Prew (Carterton); D May, R Clanfield, G May (Headington) v F Benham, D Bullock, G Kennedy (Shiplake Village).
Fours (10am): M Nash, N Rae, P Mabbutt, N Rae-Welsh (Headington) v P Lopez, C Lewis, DA Ley, M Hancock (Oxford City & County); J Nicholls, J Henwood, J King & M Charlett (Headington) v K Holloway, G Schwab, R Redford, M Sykes (Banbury Borough).
Pairs (2.30pm): R Craig & J Hicks (Carterton) v G Schwab & M Sykes (Banbury Borough), J Bland & B Lambourne (Shiplake Village) v AJ Docherty & C Carpenter (Banbury Borough).
Singles (2.30pm): G May (Headington) v D May (Headington), A Prew (Carterton) v Gr Moon (Banbury Borough).
- Oxford United hit by Ryan Ledson injury blow
- Oxford United chairman Darryl Eales believes 'B team' decision may change Checkatrade Trophy outlook
- Curtis Nelson pencilled in for Oxford United return next week - if today's session goes well
- BRADLEY SMITH COLUMN: Getting back on track takes sweat and tears
- BAR BILLIARDS: Oxford suffer heavy defeat in Area Cup
- AUNT SALLY: Former world champion Henry Johnson wins Kidlington title
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City’s unstoppable veterans land 12th straight title at Southern Stage Road Relays
- BOWLS: Oxfordshire draw final friendly
- SWIMMING: Janette Cardy impresses to lift British Open Water Championships title
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars still looking for first cup win after Milton Keynes Thunder defeat