LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell moved quickly to sign Lachlan McCaffrey after the back row forward impressed against his side just a fortnight ago.
The Exiles completed the capture of the 24-year-old after he made his mark in the Singapore 10s last month.
McCaffrey joins Welsh from Australian side Brumbies.
He has played in the Super 15 with Western Force and the Waratahs, and featured against the British and Irish Lions on their Tour of Australia in 2013.
A former Under 20 international, McCaffrey helped Australia reach the final of the 2010 IRB Junior World Championship in Argentina, as well as representing his country at schoolboy level.
In 2009, he was the inaugural Shute Shield rookie of the year and two seasons later was a member of the Eastwood team which defeated Sydney University 19-16 in the Shute Shield grand final – a side captained by former Exile Mitch Lees.
Burnell said: “Lachlan caught our attention at the Cub 10s in Singapore when he was part of the Brumbies squad.
“I had the opportunity to meet him first hand, have a look at him play, and he really impressed me.
“He’s got an excellent and proven pedigree in Super 15 rugby and is a typical ball-playing Australian forward – he’s got a brilliant skill set.
“It’s another massive statement by London Welsh in our bid to compete in the Aviva Premiership next season.”
Welsh open their Premiership campaign with a home match against Exeter Chiefs on September 7.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United will not blow salary structure for summer signings, says boss Michael Appleton
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe is front-runner in PFA poll for League Two player of the season
- Callum O'Dowda hoping to live up to Republic of Ireland boss Martin O'Neill's high praise
- FOOTBALL: Leaving North Leigh was not a decision I took lightly - manager Mark Gee
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Captain Kat Nutman leads by example as Oxford United beat Watford
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL suffer ninth-straight loss in Doncaster defeat
- FOOTBALL: Lewis Gabbidon lands double honour at Kidlington presentation night
- GOLF: Superb Adam Wootton wins CK Group PGA Kent Open Championship
- DARTS: Pairs whitewash seals it for Challow British Legion
- Johnny Mullins the high-profile departure as Oxford United announce retained list