JOSEPH Smith came out on top to lift Oxford City’s historic Hall Cup on Sunday.
The 36-hole event was first contested at the club in 1903.
Smith added his name to the long list of winners with excellent rounds of 75 and 74 to end on 149.
The 27-year-old finished two shots clear of his nearest challenger.
Ian Bound, one of the club’s most talented golfers not to win the title, again had to be content with runners-up spot after carding rounds of 78 and 73 for a 151 total.
l DAVID Hedges has moved nearer to claiming a hole in one on every par three at North Oxford.
The longstanding member holed his tee shot at the 133-yard 11th with an eight iron in Thursday’s roll-up.
It was his seventh hole in one at the club and means he has now aced five of the course’s six short holes.
Only the tenth, at 221 yards the longest of North Oxford’s par threes, has so far eluded Hedges.
l HADDEN Hill are running courses for juniors during the summer holidays.
The tuition from professional Tom Hartley is open to non-members and lasts from 9.30am-3pm.
The courses are being held on August 5-7 and 19-21, and cost either £25 for the day or £65 for three days, which includes lunch.
Payment is required at time of booking.
SHAW GIBBS OXFORDSHIRE FOURSOMES LEAGUE.
Knock Out Cup Studley Wood 2, Burford 1 (Studley Wood scores first): C Drew & J Fathers lost to M Hill & S Hopkins 6 & 5, J McClure & G Stevens bt R Grant & M Potts 4 & 3, N Lawton & S Bulman bt R Gonnor & J Lally 3 & 2.
Members Cup (any combination pairs stableford): 1 J McCluskey & N Cristosdoulou 45pts, 2 D & S Dobson 44, 3 J East & R Nicholson 43.
Midweek stableford: 1 W Rapley 44pts, 2 P Barrow 41, 3 M Tippett 38.
Club matches – Men’s: Oxford City 1½, North Oxford 3½. Seniors: North Oxford 6, Oxford City 0. Mixed: North Oxford 5½, Burford 2½.
Medal and Lillian Barrett Trophy – Div 1: 1 H Pennick nett 68, 2 J McCairns 74 (cb), 3 J Tavinor 74. Div 2: 1 S Sadler nett 73, 2 S Mickan 76, 3 C Walsh 77. Lillian Barrett Trophy: 1 H Pennick, 2 S Sadler.
Men’s Flag Medal for the Captain Dodd Salver: 1 R Edwards 14, 2 M Hedges 15, 3 R O’Neill 12.
Brimble Trophy: 1 R Kershaw 67pts, 2 K Shaw 68, 3 I Gordon 69.
July midweek stableford: 1 I McGlade 42, 2 S Ray 38, 3 J Summers 37.
July Stableford – Div 1: 1 S Ray 41pts, 2 J Bowler 40, 3 A Venney 39. Div 2: 1 M Beane 37, 2 K Shaw 36, 3 M Wilkinson 35.
Aston and James June Stableford – Div 1: 1 S Swain 40pts, 2 A Godfrey 38, 3 J Lambourne 38. Div 2: 1 P Weatherston 40pts, 2 J Bull 38, 3 T Hanley 38.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton not ruling out a Ryan Ledson enquiry to Everton
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Oxford Saints smash Cornish Sharks to land play-off semi-final slot
- CRICKET: Sussex paceman Tymal Mills given green light to play for Oxfordshire
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's Jade O'Dowda sets sights on Tokyo 2020 Olympics after defending national heptathlon title
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan reflects on testing minor counties campaign
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire paceman Chad Keegan retires
- RACING: Hughie Morrison delighted after Nearly Caught triumphs in France
- BOWLS: Alan Ley leads Oxfordshire to tight win over Buckinghamshire
- BAR BILLIARDS: Bletchingdon beat Gladiators for first win of season
- RUGBY UNION: Grove battle back to beat Bicester in friendly thriller