OXFORD’S bowlers were left frustrated by Daniel Solway in their draw at home to Gerrards Cross in Division 1.
Fine knocks from Brad Sutherland and Shami Mendis saw the hosts post 197-4 off their 39 overs in a rain-affected match at Roman Way.
With just 31 overs to try and then dismiss their rivals, Ian Crosby’s side made a terrific start and looking like pulling off a sensational victory.
But Solway held the innings together with a gritty 84 not out as Gerrards Cross reached 123-7 at the close.
Stand-in opener Sutherland, who yet again staked his claim for a regular role at the top of the order, top-scored for Oxford with 69 off 95 balls.
His innings contained six fours and one six.
Mendis was unbeaten on 54, having hit six fours and two sixes as Oxford posted a challenging total.
When Oxford pacemen Mark Beer and Stuart Hole ripped through the Gerrards Cross top order, the visitors were in real trouble at 31-5, Hole taking 3-15 off his eight overs.
But Solway stood firm, sharing a sixth-wicket partnership of 64 with Jasraj Grewal to frustrate Oxford.
Francois Vainker claimed the wickets of Grewal and Jamie Hoddle to give Oxford hope, but Solway was not to be denied.
Latest Sport news
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town
- WATCH: Oxford United players undergo gruelling tests on first day of pre-season
- Oxford United will start pre-season training at Bisham Abbey while work is done at Roman Way
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- CRICKET: Ben Knowler's late spell helps send Aston Rowant top of Cherwell League Division 1
- FOOTBALL: Mick Conmy wins top honour at Oxfordshire FA awards
- HOCKEY: Dan Fox gets Olympic call
- AUNT SALLY: Lee Thompson and Mick Berry help steer Swan A to top of Premier Section
- CRICKET: Swashbuckling Nigel Hume hammers 46-ball century as unbeaten Faringdon march on
- CRICKET: Dan White's the man for Hook Norton but rain has final say against Great Horwood