OXFORD’S bowlers were left frustrated by Daniel Solway in their draw at home to Gerrards Cross in Division 1.
Fine knocks from Brad Sutherland and Shami Mendis saw the hosts post 197-4 off their 39 overs in a rain-affected match at Roman Way.
With just 31 overs to try and then dismiss their rivals, Ian Crosby’s side made a terrific start and looking like pulling off a sensational victory.
But Solway held the innings together with a gritty 84 not out as Gerrards Cross reached 123-7 at the close.
Stand-in opener Sutherland, who yet again staked his claim for a regular role at the top of the order, top-scored for Oxford with 69 off 95 balls.
His innings contained six fours and one six.
Mendis was unbeaten on 54, having hit six fours and two sixes as Oxford posted a challenging total.
When Oxford pacemen Mark Beer and Stuart Hole ripped through the Gerrards Cross top order, the visitors were in real trouble at 31-5, Hole taking 3-15 off his eight overs.
But Solway stood firm, sharing a sixth-wicket partnership of 64 with Jasraj Grewal to frustrate Oxford.
Francois Vainker claimed the wickets of Grewal and Jamie Hoddle to give Oxford hope, but Solway was not to be denied.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United set for double signing to boost firepower after friendly defeat by Brighton
- Oxford United's EFL Trophy group opponents include Chelsea and Swindon Town
- CRICKET: Tom Condon's century keeps up Aston Rowant's Cherwell title challenge
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton
- Oxford United to discover EFL Trophy opponents in draw tomorrow
- Tough pre-season games are helping Oxford United get set for League One, says Chey Dunkley