OXFORD’S bowlers were left frustrated by Daniel Solway in their draw at home to Gerrards Cross in Division 1.
Fine knocks from Brad Sutherland and Shami Mendis saw the hosts post 197-4 off their 39 overs in a rain-affected match at Roman Way.
With just 31 overs to try and then dismiss their rivals, Ian Crosby’s side made a terrific start and looking like pulling off a sensational victory.
But Solway held the innings together with a gritty 84 not out as Gerrards Cross reached 123-7 at the close.
Stand-in opener Sutherland, who yet again staked his claim for a regular role at the top of the order, top-scored for Oxford with 69 off 95 balls.
His innings contained six fours and one six.
Mendis was unbeaten on 54, having hit six fours and two sixes as Oxford posted a challenging total.
When Oxford pacemen Mark Beer and Stuart Hole ripped through the Gerrards Cross top order, the visitors were in real trouble at 31-5, Hole taking 3-15 off his eight overs.
But Solway stood firm, sharing a sixth-wicket partnership of 64 with Jasraj Grewal to frustrate Oxford.
Francois Vainker claimed the wickets of Grewal and Jamie Hoddle to give Oxford hope, but Solway was not to be denied.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 5 (Johnson 11, Rothwell 35, McAleny 39, 49 & 90+5), Bury 1 (Vaughan 58)
- Oxford United v Bury - UPDATES
- Phil Edwards: Oxford United must beat Bury tonight or they can forget play-off push
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United players to seize final chance against Bury to push Wembley claims
- FOOTBALL: Summertown Stars reach FA People’s Cup finals
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor’s National League 2 South title bid suffers huge blow but Henley Hawks win
- GOLF: Champions Frilford Heath are whitewashed
- HOCKEY: Mixed emotions as Abingdon Pilgrims bow out with a victory before disbanding
- RUGBY UNION: Defeats for Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Banbury, but Grove triumph
- RUGBY UNION: Gosford All Blacks, Bicester and Wallingford all triumph in Southern Counties North