OXFORD’S bowlers were left frustrated by Daniel Solway in their draw at home to Gerrards Cross in Division 1.
Fine knocks from Brad Sutherland and Shami Mendis saw the hosts post 197-4 off their 39 overs in a rain-affected match at Roman Way.
With just 31 overs to try and then dismiss their rivals, Ian Crosby’s side made a terrific start and looking like pulling off a sensational victory.
But Solway held the innings together with a gritty 84 not out as Gerrards Cross reached 123-7 at the close.
Stand-in opener Sutherland, who yet again staked his claim for a regular role at the top of the order, top-scored for Oxford with 69 off 95 balls.
His innings contained six fours and one six.
Mendis was unbeaten on 54, having hit six fours and two sixes as Oxford posted a challenging total.
When Oxford pacemen Mark Beer and Stuart Hole ripped through the Gerrards Cross top order, the visitors were in real trouble at 31-5, Hole taking 3-15 off his eight overs.
But Solway stood firm, sharing a sixth-wicket partnership of 64 with Jasraj Grewal to frustrate Oxford.
Francois Vainker claimed the wickets of Grewal and Jamie Hoddle to give Oxford hope, but Solway was not to be denied.
Latest Sport news
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows eyeing glory after heartbreak as a player
- TWICKENHAM: Banbury duo Ed Phillips and Sam Stoop relishing chance to make history for Oxfordshire
- TWICKENHAM: A busy week on and off the pitch for finalists Oxfordshire
- Oxford United young gun Malachi Napa has career immortalised in a comic strip by West Ham
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce stars for Oxfordshire veterans
- MOTORSPORT: Dominic Paul in dominant form for SPY
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire's history at the home of English rugby
- ANGLING: Kevin Jeacock takes victory