JUSTIN Burnell praised new assistant coach Matthew Ferguson’s scrum knowledge as London Welsh announced his addition to their backroom team.
Former Bristol, Cardiff and England Women’s coach Ferguson was unveiled yesterday as the Exiles began pre-season training for their return to the Aviva Premiership.
He joins Welsh’s existing set-up of head coach Burnell, plus assistants Gordon Ross and Ollie Smith.
Burnell said: “We’re very fortunate to be able to add Matthew to our existing and excellent coaching staff.
“It’s great to have him on board.
“Matt’s knowledge of the scrum is second to none and he has good links within the RFU system with Graham Rowntree.
“After the excellent work done with our scrum last season by Darren Crompton, the role of a technical person to work primarily with the scrum is of the utmost importance, as we know how key an area that will be in the Aviva Premiership.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United's Kemar Roofe and Liam Sercombe named in League Two team of the year
- Oxford United await decisions from Hylton and Maguire
- FOOTBALL: John Brough appointed new manager at North Leigh
- MOTOR RACING: Renault's Jolyon Palmer crashes out of Monaco Grand Prix
- WEEKEND RESULTS: May 28-29
- CRICKET: Horspath stretch unbeaten start to four games after Shipton-under-Wychwood collapse
- CRICKET: Dain Moreton's century inspires Great & Little Tew to victory over Harefield
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks