JUSTIN Burnell praised new assistant coach Matthew Ferguson’s scrum knowledge as London Welsh announced his addition to their backroom team.
Former Bristol, Cardiff and England Women’s coach Ferguson was unveiled yesterday as the Exiles began pre-season training for their return to the Aviva Premiership.
He joins Welsh’s existing set-up of head coach Burnell, plus assistants Gordon Ross and Ollie Smith.
Burnell said: “We’re very fortunate to be able to add Matthew to our existing and excellent coaching staff.
“It’s great to have him on board.
“Matt’s knowledge of the scrum is second to none and he has good links within the RFU system with Graham Rowntree.
“After the excellent work done with our scrum last season by Darren Crompton, the role of a technical person to work primarily with the scrum is of the utmost importance, as we know how key an area that will be in the Aviva Premiership.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat