TWO Oxfordshire golfers will be hoping promising finishes on home soil last week will provide the platform to claim a coveted place at The Open Championship today.
Adam Wootton and Tom Fleming are among hundreds of hopefuls chasing one of 12 spots for Royal Liverpool later this month in final qualifying.
Both warmed up for the task by taking part in the Buildbase Open at Frilford Heath last week.
Wootton finished the EuroPro Tour event on six-under par for a share of 12th place, while Fleming was one shot further back in joint 17th.
Final qualifying is spread across four different courses, with the top three at each venue after 36 holes going through to the main event.
Wootton, who qualified to play in the 2011 Open at Royal St George’s, will be the first to tee off at Hillside in Southport, at 7am.
The Headington professional, representing the Oxford Golf Centre, starts his second round at 12.30pm.
Frilford Heath’s Fleming is in action at Woburn, near Milton Keynes.
He begins his challenge at 8.15am, with the second round beginning at 1.45pm.
The Buildbase Open was won by James Robinson, who broke the course record on Frilford’s Blue Course with a nine-under par round of 63 in the first round.
The Southport & Aindsdale golfer eventually won by just one shot and was thankful to three shots picked up in two holes on the back nine.
He said: “I felt a little bit of pressure because I knew I could shoot nine under but I stayed patient, stuck to my routine and played solid golf.
“The key was at 14 and 15 where I made birdie and then chipped in for an eagle.”
- James Robinson broke the Frilford Heath Blue Course record en route to winning the Buildbase Open Picture: HotelPlanner.com PGA EuroProTour
Alistair Booth, Frilford’s Executive Director, said: “It was great from our point of view, the quality of golf was really high.
“We would love to host it again next year if possible.”
- OXFORDSHIRE’S Doug Cameron will represent his club at the England Golf Champion Club finals.
The 59-year-old from Kingswood, near Bicester, won the Hertfordshire qualifer at Hammonds End.
Alongside Moor Park clubmates John Ambridge and Mitchell Steel, he will play in the final at Trentham, Staffordshire in September.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Port Vale
- Port Vale 2 (Cicilia 54, Taylor pen 59), Oxford United 2 (Dunkley 11, Crowley 19)
- UPDATES - Port Vale v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: Coventry proved frustrating but we will show our mettle today at Port Vale
- Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley and Tyler Roberts pushing for Oxford United starting roles at Port Vale
- Joe Rothwell wants reaction from Oxford United
- SNOOKER/BILLIARDS: Neil Craycraft stars in Abingdon Conservatives' whitewash
- MOTORSPORT: Williams seeking boost for US Grand prix
- SKATER HOCKEY: Adam Harris thrilled to be making his debut for GB
- ANGLING: Steve Harwood loses out by a ounce in Oxford Winter League