KINGSTONE PRESS CHAMPIONSHIP ONE
OXFORD RL’S losing streak stret-ched to six matches with a 38-22 home defeat by Oldham Roughyeds, but they still climbed a place in the table.
There was plenty for head coach Tony Benson to be pleased with against second-placed Oldham, while London Skolars’ 66-6 hammering by Gateshead saw them slip below Oxford on points difference.
Oldham opened the scoring on seven minutes when Mo Agoro finished off a slick move.
Oxford were back in the game when Tommy Connick’s interception and passes from Alex Thompson, Andrew Hoggins and Callum Mulkeen sent Michael Crabtree over in the corner.
The visitors responded on 21 minutes when Josh Crowley powered between two defenders to crash over.
Oxford were pen-alised for offside near their line, with Oldham feeding Danny Lang-tree to score. Lewis Palfrey converted for 14-4.
Crabtree’s break and JJ Baird’s support created space for Oxford’s Sean Morris to go over on 31 minutes, with Jimmy Rowland converting.
The hosts trailed 14-10 at the break, but that soon became 26-10 as Palfrey converted further tries from Dale Bloomfield and Ben Wood.
Rowland’s short pass played in Hoggins to break between two defenders for Oxford’s third try, which the former converted.
Langtree’s second try made it 30-16 and gave Oldham a decisive adv-antage.
Palfrey’s high kick rebounded off a post for David Cookson to touch down for 34-16.
Rowland set up and converted a second try from Crabtree.
But Oldham had the final say when Bloomfield went over to complete his brace.
Latest Sport news
- Canice Carroll eyes Oxford United starting role after signing three-year deal
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell clinches US Open spot after superb qualifying display
- Michael Appleton confident Oxford United are close to new signing
- Oxford United denied cash boost from Kemar Roofe transfer after Leeds United's failure to make play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire clinch first Twickenham win after dramatic finale
- RESULTS: May 27-28
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League reports
- MOTORSPORT: Haas and Williams in the points at Monaco Grand Prix
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final