OXFORD United are off the bottom of the FA Women’s Super League 2 table after a 2-1 win at Durham secured a first success of the season, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
The U’s were the dominant force throughout, but had to come from behind after Emily Scott fired the hosts in front.
But a spectacular Kayleigh Hines effort and a late strike from Jemma Connor-Iommi gave United a vital victory.
Oxford started the game on the front foot, but found themselves behind against the run of play when Scott found space in the box to fire into the roof of the net.
The goal left United reeling, but they were level before the break after Hines spotted goalkeeper Danielle Hill off her line and struck a beautiful floated equaliser from 40 yards.
Rosie Young went close to restoring the home side’s advantage in the second half, clipping the top of the bar after breaking quickly on the left.
But it was the U’s who showed the most attacking intent, with substitute Natasha Caswell harshly flagged for offside as she raced clean through on goal.
United did get their deserved winner late in the game, however, as Connor-Iommi’s curling corner was ruled to have crossed the line by the assistant referee.
The victory sees United move off the foot of the table, leapfrogging Durham into ninth place.
Oxford Utd: Lambourne, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Stanley (Caswell 63), Allison, Low (Alexander 60), King (Fellows 74), Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane. Subs not used: Cox, Franklin-Fraiture.
Referee: H Conley.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face tense wait over Kemar Roofe's fitness for season finale
- Oxfordshire Senior Cup final details are confirmed
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United manager Mike Ford thrilled as his team win promotion play-off final
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash