Oxford United Women could give a debut to on-loan Liverpool defender Megan Alexander when the bottom-placed side travel to their fellow FA Women’s Super League 2 strugglers Durham tomorrow.
The full back, who has signed a three-month deal from the WSL 1 champions, is drafted straight into a squad for the trip north.
Alexander is relishing the challenge of playing for Les Taylor’s side.
“Firstly, I’d like to say I’m really excited about the move,” said Alexander.
“I really want to progress at the highest level and I see coming to a fantastic club like Oxford United as a great opportunity for me at this point in my career.
“My aim is to help them to perform well in the foreseeable future and hope that I can continue to develop before returning to Liverpool Ladies as an improved player.”
United’s general manager Richard Blackmore added: “We are very pleased to have signed Megan, being a local Oxfordshire player and having played in the WSL 1 this year.
“Megan will add strength to us defensively as a squad.”
Midfielder Louise Fellows could also make her league bow after a long injury lay-off.
It will be Oxford’s first match in more than a month following the international break.
Coach Keiran Hayes said the U’s players were determined to move off the foot of the table.
“We seemed to be just hitting our stride, the players had adjusted,” he said. “But now we’ve had the break, we’ve trained through it and we’re ready to go.
“We’ve got some really good players here that can go out and get us the result we want.”
Oxford Utd Ladies: from Cox, Mobbs, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Pinker, Low, King, Nutman, Connor-Iommi, Lane, Lambourne, Franklin-Fraiture, Nichol, Stanley, Fellows, Alexander.
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton waits to see referee after being sent to the stands in Oxford United's spicy draw with Oldham Athletic
- Oxford United 1 (Hall 54), Oldham Athletic 1 (Burgess 10)
- Oxford United v Oldham Athletic - UPDATES
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We are hoping for some home comforts
- Kane Hemmings eyeing big push from Oxford United
- Michael Appleton faced with Oxford United defensive dilemma ahead of Oldham clash
- ANGLING: Martin Phipps leaves rivals in the cold
- TRAMPOLINING: Windrush Valley girls land regional team crown
- GYMNASTICS: Abingdon's Lili-Mae Snuggs claims top-ten spots in national championships
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Thame A go top of Oxford League after victory over Green Road A