Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

9:30am Friday 27th June 2014

By Mark Edwards

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

It's the smart way to travel

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Monday 31st August 2015

A VAST digital network linking Oxford’s roads, streetlights, shops and car parks could transform city life, a UK internet chief said.

Union strike spells further disruption for rail passengers

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Monday 31st August 2015

A STRIKE will continue to disrupt train services in Oxfordshire today.

Anger erupts at treatment over boy’s bus trip to school

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 31st August 2015

A FAMILY was left outraged after an 11-year-old boy was told he would have to travel alone in a car driven by a bus driver for part of his journey to school.

Demand for organ donation now higher than ever before

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 29th August 2015

A TOP transplant surgeon has backed the Oxford Mail organ donation campaign saying more donors are needed than ever before.

Police believe rapist may have fled country using a second passport

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 29th August 2015

A RAPIST who disappeared before his trial to escape justice is believed to have had a second passport he could have used to flee the country.

Tributes to ‘forthright, caring and exceptional’ former Lord Mayor

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 29th August 2015

MOVING tributes were paid to Carole Roberts yesterday at the former Lord Mayor of Oxford’s funeral.

Seven men charged with sex offences dating back to the 1990s

Oxford Mail: OM Crown

7:00am Saturday 29th August 2015

Seven men have appeared in court accused of a catalogue of sex offences.

Call for districts’ assistance in sharing city’s housing burden

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 29th August 2015

PLANS for an Oxford Garden City could return as the Vale looks to accommodate 4,000 new homes.

Plans unveiled for 140 homes to be built on Iron Age ‘banjo’

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Saturday 29th August 2015

FULL plans have been revealed for 140 new homes in Littlemore near Heyford Hill Sainsbury’s.

Cyclist rushed to hospital with serious injuries following crash in Abingdon

Oxford Mail:

2:13pm Friday 28th August 2015

A CYCLIST has suffered “serious injuries” after being involved in a collision with a car in Abingdon.

MP demanding answers after convicted sex offender flees

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 28th August 2015

AN MP last night demanded answers about how a rapist who was released on bail could have escaped justice.

Traffic building after electrical fire on M40 near Bicester

Oxford Mail:

2:54pm Friday 28th August 2015

TRAFFIC is moving slowly on the M40 near Bicester this afternoon due to an electrical fire.

Cyclist taken to hospital after crash with van in Littlemore

Oxford Mail: OM stock ambulance

2:14pm Friday 28th August 2015

A CYCLIST was involved in a collision with a van this morning in Oxford.

Police finance chief denies force faces UK’s highest cuts of £43.7m

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 28th August 2015

A POLICING finance boss has vowed Thames Valley Police will not be hit with a predicted £43.7m cuts but refused to be drawn on how much could be axed.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/trade_directory/