Report this comment
  • "Charlie Methven is a life time oxford supporter who despite running a global pr company from london gives an extraordinary amount of time to the u's at grassroots level; that alone shows real commitment. When he is not abroad he can be seen at every home match with his kids working behind the scenes. He has unbelievable contacts and everyone should get behind him if IL has lost the appetite to move our club forward. We certainly don't want another chancer who wants the ego of owning a football club. Having said that the first priority has to be freeing us of a £500k annual ball and chain rent"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in Sport Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

Video: Ex-headteacher found dead in Thames days before court appearance for molesting boys

Oxford Mail:

2:44pm Friday 27th March 2015

A FORMER headteacher due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the Thames on Tuesday, it has emerged today.

Slavery: Police fear more victims as 10 arrested remain in custody + video

Oxford Mail:

8:59am Friday 27th March 2015

POLICE feared there could be more victims after 10 people were last night in custody after a series of anti-slavery raids.

Three boys arrested over series of sexual assaults on women in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:52pm Friday 27th March 2015

THREE boys have been arrested on suspicion of a series of sexual assaults in Oxford.

Two men arrested over vehicle interference in Wallingford

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

1:53pm Friday 27th March 2015

TWO men from Oxford are in custody after being arrested on suspicion of vehicle interference.

UPDATED: Woman charged in connection with slavery raids appears in court

Oxford Mail:

10:37am Friday 27th March 2015

A WOMAN has been charged with slavery offences after 10 people were arrested yesterday in a series of dawn raids.

Missing girl Jennifer Moore found safe and well

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 27th March 2015

A BICESTER teenager reported missing has been found safe and well, police said this morning.

Exhibition highlights ‘18th century Spitting Image’

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 27th March 2015

IF YOU were a fan of Spitting Image you will love a brand new exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum which pokes fun at the great and good.

Cowley’s Princess gets a royal reception on its 40th birthday

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 27th March 2015

FANS of Oxford’s most famous princess were out in force yesterday to mark her 40th birthday.

Bullfinch: ‘No useful purpose in another inquiry on sex abuse scandal’

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 27th March 2015

A WATCHDOG committee of the county council has refused to back calls for an independent inquiry in the wake of Operation Bullfinch.

Anglers say Thames towpath ‘looks like a hurricane struck’

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 27th March 2015

ANGLERS have said a stretch of towpath looks like it was hit by a hurricane after a landowner cut back scores of trees.

Is anyone in county older than me? asks Doris, 105

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Friday 27th March 2015

THERE’S a lot you can fit into 105 years.

2pm Update: Ten now held by police in anti-slavery operation + video and pictures

Oxford Mail:

8:04am Thursday 26th March 2015

TEN people have now been arrested by police following this morning's raids targeting slavery in the city.

Council says millions more are needed to protect children from sex exploitation

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 26th March 2015

MILLIONS in extra funding is needed to cope with the rising problem of child sex exploitation across Oxfordshire.

Former Oxford schoolgirl wins Waterstone's children's book prize for debut novel

Oxford Mail:

8:00pm Thursday 26th March 2015

A FORMER Oxford schoolgirl has won the Best Young Fiction category at the Waterstone's Children’s Book Prze awards.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree