Report this comment
  • "When he first took over FK promised he would take us on a journey and he's still taking for a ride now!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in Sport Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

Snow across Oxfordshire - in readers' pictures + forecast

Oxford Mail:

7:43am Saturday 31st January 2015

IT'S been snowing overnight in Oxfordshire and here's some of the pictures our readers have sent in.

Record broken as more than £500,000 raised for Poppy Appeal

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

THE POPPY Appeal’s fundraising target has been smashed in the county.

Man left with serious head injuries after being hit with wooden item during fight in Bicester

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

3:17pm Saturday 31st January 2015

THREE men have been arrested after a man was left with "serious injuries," police say.

Healthcare worker brought back from Africa to UK for Ebola monitoring via Brize Norton

Oxford Mail: RAF logo

1:20pm Saturday 31st January 2015

A British military healthcare worker has been brought back to England for Ebola monitoring after suffering a needle-stick injury while treating a person in Sierra Leone.

Oxford United striker Danny Hylton says they are ready for Stevenage battle

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

Danny Hylton has warned Oxford United will get “eaten alive” at Stevenage today unless they match their hosts’ appetite for a battle.

Celebrations as the Blavatnik building is 'topped out'

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

BUILDERS and Oxford University dons have celebrated “topping out” one of Oxford’s newest and most prominent buildings.

Oxfordshire County Council scrapping its chief executive role

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE’s biggest local authority is to scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs.

Minister visits arson hit South Oxfordshire councils building

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

MINISTER Penny Mordaunt toured burned-out council headquarters to show her support for staff.

Churchill: The Bladon verger who met him in Germany and then was at his burial

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

A 91-YEAR-OLD who served as a verger at the burial of Sir Winston Churchill has recounted the historic day 50 years on.

Churchill: I remember our football match was stopped as the train carrying his body passed

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

FOR years Mike Cross was confused about why a football match he was playing in as a 16-year-old was suspended as a train went past.

£6m Clarendon Shopping Centre revamp is finished

Oxford Mail:

6:20am Saturday 31st January 2015

A £6 MILLION revamp to a shopping centre in Oxford has been completed to make it “bigger” and “brighter”.

North Oxford residents fear axed trees will give them bad vibrations from railway

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

HOUSEHOLDS fear removing trees from railway sidings has exposed them to more noise and vibrations as a survey revealed homes had historical structural damage.

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree