OXFORDSHIRE decathlete Osman Muskwe will compete for Great Britain & Northern Ireland in the European Cup Combined Events Super League.
The 28-year-old soldier, who is based at Abingdon’s Dalton Barracks, is in an eight-strong team for the event in Torun, Poland on July 5 and 6.
This is Zimbabawe-born Muskwe’s second call-up, but will be the first time he pulls on a GB vest.
“I kind of knew I had a chance of being selected, but it was a great feeling,” he said.
“I was called up last year, but had to pull out due to problems with my passport.
“I just want to go out there and do my best and pick up as many points as I can, hopefully getting a personal best.
“Call-ups like this are the reason why you train.
“You want to get to the highest level possible.
“I’m hoping this is going to be the first of many call-ups.”
Muskwe, who won the English decathlon title in 2013, switched clubs from Radley to Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow this season.
His form has been solid, having come within 11 points of his best with a 7,315 points score in Herentals, Belgium on June 1.
Muskwe has also extended his discus mark to 50.52m, which bodes well.
“My training is going well,” he added. “I have been producing good results and am feeling good.
“Over 50m in the discus is the distance that people want to achieve and that made me really happy to achieve it.
“It was a good indication that my training is going well.”
Muskwe is ranked tenth in Britain this year, but believes there is plenty of improvement to come.
“Since the call-up, I have just been sharpening everything leading up to Poland,” he said.
“Hopefully, I will stay injury-free and we’ll see how it goes.
“I am still improving and I’m still quite new to the sport.
“I hope to get better and better.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford's record run over as Cambridge edge thriller
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy
- VARSITY MATCH: Pressure is still on us, admits Oxford University winger Tom Stileman
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy