Oxford University came back from the dead to record a thrilling one-wicket victory over Cambridge in the last over in the One-Day Varisty match at Lord’s yesterday.
Chasing Cambridge’s all out total of 177, the Dark Blues were in big troubleslumping to 82-7 in reply as they sought to keep their crown.
But Oxford’s No 9 Ross Haines played an astonishing innings to turn the match around to keep them in the game.
Even when their ninth wicket fell at 137, Oxford still looked likely losers.
But Haines and last man Abi Sakande added 42 runs, with the former sealing the remarkable victory with a six off the first ball of the last over.
Haines made 61 not out off 44 balls with three sixes and four fours, while Sakande finished on 15 not out.
The early part of the Oxford innings was held together by Matt Winter’s half-century, as Aston Rowant’s Nick Ferrably was out third ball.
Cambridge’s total owed much to Akbar Ansari’s 52, while Sam Cato took 4-31 to ensure they were bowled out in the 47th over.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's defeat at Sheffield United
- RACING: Options open for Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Coneygree's return
- Sheffield United 2 (Sharp 65, Wilson 73), Oxford United 1 (Hemmings 16)
- LIVE - Sheffield United v Oxford United
- Oxford United forward Chris Maguire eager to keep Sheffield United quiet
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It is crucial we start well to silence the home support
- MOTORSPORT: Williams duo Bottas and Massa ready for Spa test
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire beat Bedfordshire in final to win Wormsley T20
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women's captain Kat Nutman could return at Durham
- CRICKET: Max Smith's super spell speeds Oxford Under 17s to second national title in three years