Not much separated England and Uruguay, but what did divide the teams was one world-class striker and two world class finishes.
England’s World Cup dream was ended by a goal I would describe as ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ The good is for the good finish from the world-class Uruguayan and Liverpool forward Luis Saurez.
The bad is for the bad header from England captain Steven Gerrard that put Suarez in on goal.
The ugly is for the ugly schoolboy defending shown by the England back four for the second goal.
As Gerrard was going up for the header, it should have been automatic for every one of the back four to drop off, just in case Cavani won the header and flicked it in on goal.
That momentary loss of concentration is all a world-class striker like Saurez needs.
So what positives do we take? Well, there are a few I think.
Wayne Rooney broke his World Cup duck and scored his first goal.
He was actually unlucky not to get more and on another day he may have got a hat-trick.
Daniel Sturridge looked just as effective on the world stage as he does in the Premier League.
Ross Barkley’s youth, hunger and enthusiasm were a delight to watch when he came on. He played with ‘no fear’.
But unfortunately, none of this was enough to save England.
Latest Sport news
- MOTORSPORT: Renault's Jolyon Palmer rues costly spin at Hungarian Grand Prix
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala