Not much separated England and Uruguay, but what did divide the teams was one world-class striker and two world class finishes.
England’s World Cup dream was ended by a goal I would describe as ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ The good is for the good finish from the world-class Uruguayan and Liverpool forward Luis Saurez.
The bad is for the bad header from England captain Steven Gerrard that put Suarez in on goal.
The ugly is for the ugly schoolboy defending shown by the England back four for the second goal.
As Gerrard was going up for the header, it should have been automatic for every one of the back four to drop off, just in case Cavani won the header and flicked it in on goal.
That momentary loss of concentration is all a world-class striker like Saurez needs.
So what positives do we take? Well, there are a few I think.
Wayne Rooney broke his World Cup duck and scored his first goal.
He was actually unlucky not to get more and on another day he may have got a hat-trick.
Daniel Sturridge looked just as effective on the world stage as he does in the Premier League.
Ross Barkley’s youth, hunger and enthusiasm were a delight to watch when he came on. He played with ‘no fear’.
But unfortunately, none of this was enough to save England.
Latest Sport news
- Ryan Ledson joins Oxford United from Everton for undisclosed fee
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton not ruling out a Ryan Ledson enquiry to Everton
- Andy Triggs Hodge bows out on a high to concentrate on family
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Oxford Saints smash Cornish Sharks to land play-off semi-final slot
- CRICKET: Sussex paceman Tymal Mills given green light to play for Oxfordshire
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's Jade O'Dowda sets sights on Tokyo 2020 Olympics after defending national heptathlon title
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire captain Luke Ryan reflects on testing minor counties campaign
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire paceman Chad Keegan retires
- RACING: Hughie Morrison delighted after Nearly Caught triumphs in France
- BAR BILLIARDS: Bletchingdon beat Gladiators for first win of season