Not much separated England and Uruguay, but what did divide the teams was one world-class striker and two world class finishes.
England’s World Cup dream was ended by a goal I would describe as ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ The good is for the good finish from the world-class Uruguayan and Liverpool forward Luis Saurez.
The bad is for the bad header from England captain Steven Gerrard that put Suarez in on goal.
The ugly is for the ugly schoolboy defending shown by the England back four for the second goal.
As Gerrard was going up for the header, it should have been automatic for every one of the back four to drop off, just in case Cavani won the header and flicked it in on goal.
That momentary loss of concentration is all a world-class striker like Saurez needs.
So what positives do we take? Well, there are a few I think.
Wayne Rooney broke his World Cup duck and scored his first goal.
He was actually unlucky not to get more and on another day he may have got a hat-trick.
Daniel Sturridge looked just as effective on the world stage as he does in the Premier League.
Ross Barkley’s youth, hunger and enthusiasm were a delight to watch when he came on. He played with ‘no fear’.
But unfortunately, none of this was enough to save England.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United in talks to extend contract of skipper John Lundstram beyond next season
- BASKETBALL: Oxfordshire trio in junior regional side
- ANGLING: Holder Craig Partridge gets off to flying start
- MOTORSPORT: Oxford driver Matt Chapman facing first two-hour endurance test
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford's David Murphy competes against Olympic champion in British final
- Canice Carroll raring for next season already after breaking into Oxford United's side
- Reaction to Shrewsbury Town defeat defined Oxford United's season – Michael Appleton
- Michael Appleton sets Oxford United one last target to hit this season
- Confident Josh Ruffels eager to add new attacking dimension to his Oxford United displays
- Oxford United can reach 100 goals for season on final day