OXFORDSHIRE’S Bradley Smith is confident he can enjoy another successful weekend at the Catalunya MotoGP after posting the quickest time in the final free practice session at the Barcelona circuit.
Monster Yamaha Tech3 racer Smith, from Forest Hill, moved from 12th to the top of the timesheet with a lap of 1 min 42.123secs.
He edged ahead of championship leader Marc Marquez by 0.151 seconds as track temperatures reached more than 50 degrees Centigrade.
“To finish in first in FP2 is certainly great,” the 23-year-old said.
“I am pleased as we undertook some key work in Mugello and the results are shining through here as well.
“The setting is very positive with the bike, although I wasn’t able to show it last time unfortunately. The main thing we looked at today was the front contact, the turning of the bike as well as front tyre choices.
“Overall, I feel confident and happier. I enjoy Barc-elona as I run strongly here.”
Smith, who is tenth in the riders’ standings, added: “It has been a tricky few races, but we have always worked hard and now I aim to keep this positive momentum for this weekend and the next few MotoGP races and continue to try my best.”
Latest Sport news
- World Cup warm-up games come second to Oxford United's play-off push - Ryan Ledson
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell’s off to a steady start in South Africa
- Andy Cook appointed new manager of Oxford United women
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club stretch lead with whitewash win
- MOTORSPORT: Anything’s possible this season, says Renault driver Jolyon Palmer
- ROWING: Former Abingdon School pupil Tom Digby adds to his world record tally
- ICE HOCKEY: Lacklustre Oxford City Stars defeated as Milton Keynes Thunder take quick revenge
- AUNT SALLY: Banbury Cricket Club take Eynsham Winter League title in first season
- RUGBY UNION: Henley Hawks fined for breach of RFU agent rules
- ATHLETICS: Hannah Hale breaks Eynsham club record at Bramley 20