OXFORDSHIRE’S Bradley Smith is confident he can enjoy another successful weekend at the Catalunya MotoGP after posting the quickest time in the final free practice session at the Barcelona circuit.
Monster Yamaha Tech3 racer Smith, from Forest Hill, moved from 12th to the top of the timesheet with a lap of 1 min 42.123secs.
He edged ahead of championship leader Marc Marquez by 0.151 seconds as track temperatures reached more than 50 degrees Centigrade.
“To finish in first in FP2 is certainly great,” the 23-year-old said.
“I am pleased as we undertook some key work in Mugello and the results are shining through here as well.
“The setting is very positive with the bike, although I wasn’t able to show it last time unfortunately. The main thing we looked at today was the front contact, the turning of the bike as well as front tyre choices.
“Overall, I feel confident and happier. I enjoy Barc-elona as I run strongly here.”
Smith, who is tenth in the riders’ standings, added: “It has been a tricky few races, but we have always worked hard and now I aim to keep this positive momentum for this weekend and the next few MotoGP races and continue to try my best.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United give Conor McAleny deadline on contract offer
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Fightback comes too late to save Oxford Saints against Brighton
- RUGBY UNION: Keble celebrate Oxford University Men's Cup triumph
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's veterans set the pace to clinch national road relays gold
- BOWLS: Champions Carterton are run close by Banbury Central
- BAR BILLIARDS: Vikings A exact revenge to reach KO final
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury set up girls side for the first time
- BOWLS: Orren Benfield and David Leighfield land Oxfordshire Under 25 pairs title
- Dealing with Firoz Kassam has been a weakness of mine, admits Oxford United chairman Darryl Eales
- Oxford United strategy is based on one player sale a summer, says Darryl Eales