ELLIOT Harvey recovered from an early setback to take second place in the fourth round of the Little Green Man X30 Tour in Cumbria.
The fine result sees the 12-year-old top the standings ahead of the next round of the championships, which take place this weekend.
In the first qualifying heat, the pupil at St Birinus School, Didcot, was looking strong in fourth place Then, while braking into the first hairpin, the axle snapped, resulting in him going through the barriers.
It was a tough task getting the kart repaired for heat two, but it was ready with seconds to spare.
Starting from near the back of the grid, Harvey stormed to the front and managed to take victory, getting the fastest lap of the race in the process.
Another win in heat three gave him third place on the grid for the final.
Things looked good when he moved into the lead by the end of the first lap.
But with the lead constantly changing hands, Harvey was ultimately forced to take second place – 0.01secs behind Works ARTKart driver and local lad Josh Smith.
However, the result puts Harvey top of the tour standings ahead of round five at Buckmore Park, Kent, this weekend.
Harvey will race in the prestigious Kartmasters event at Trent Valley in August.
This will be filmed for television and strea-med live on the internet.
- Latest Sport news
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France