Middlesex openers Nicholas Gubbins and Dawid Malan hammered sparkling centuries off Oxford MCCU’s attack on day one of their non first-class game at The Parks.
Radley College old boy Gubbins hit 116, while Malan made 110 as Middlesex rattled up 430-4dec by the close after winning the toss and deciding to bat first on an excellent pitch.
Gubbins’s runs came off 232 balls with 12 fours and a six, while Malan faced 186 deliveries with 12 fours.
They shared an opening stand of 214, before Sam Weller made the breakthrough when Malan mistimed a hook, and Oxford captain Wilf Marriott dived full stretch at mid-on to take a good catch.
John Simpson missed out, drilling a drive straight at Abidine Sakande at mid-on off Sam Cato’s off-spin seven runs later.
Gubbins, who had survived a chance to Weller at deep fine leg when on 26, finally fell with the score on 284, with Stephen Leach taking a skier at deep mid-wicket to give Cato his second victim.
Joe Denly made 78 off 99 balls with ten fours and a six before he fell to a brilliant one-handed diving catch by James Poulson at extra cover off Weller.
However, Paul Stirling, with an unbeaten 56 off 65 balls, including seven fours, and Adam Rossington, who smashed 38 not out off 20 deliveries, kept up the run spree to enable Middlesex to declare at stumps.
Scores: Middlesex 430-4 dec (N Gubbins 116, D Malan 110, J Denly 78, P Stirling 56no) v Oxford MCCU.
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges
- FOOTBALL: Manager John Brough eyes historic FA Cup run to build North Leigh support
- FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Ballard begins four-game ban as Didcot Town face Bishops Cleeve
- RUGBY UNION: In-form Chinnor wary of potential banana skin at Redingensians
- OxVox column: How I got with the programme
- Oxford United hit by Ryan Ledson injury blow