Middlesex openers Nicholas Gubbins and Dawid Malan hammered sparkling centuries off Oxford MCCU’s attack on day one of their non first-class game at The Parks.
Radley College old boy Gubbins hit 116, while Malan made 110 as Middlesex rattled up 430-4dec by the close after winning the toss and deciding to bat first on an excellent pitch.
Gubbins’s runs came off 232 balls with 12 fours and a six, while Malan faced 186 deliveries with 12 fours.
They shared an opening stand of 214, before Sam Weller made the breakthrough when Malan mistimed a hook, and Oxford captain Wilf Marriott dived full stretch at mid-on to take a good catch.
John Simpson missed out, drilling a drive straight at Abidine Sakande at mid-on off Sam Cato’s off-spin seven runs later.
Gubbins, who had survived a chance to Weller at deep fine leg when on 26, finally fell with the score on 284, with Stephen Leach taking a skier at deep mid-wicket to give Cato his second victim.
Joe Denly made 78 off 99 balls with ten fours and a six before he fell to a brilliant one-handed diving catch by James Poulson at extra cover off Weller.
However, Paul Stirling, with an unbeaten 56 off 65 balls, including seven fours, and Adam Rossington, who smashed 38 not out off 20 deliveries, kept up the run spree to enable Middlesex to declare at stumps.
Scores: Middlesex 430-4 dec (N Gubbins 116, D Malan 110, J Denly 78, P Stirling 56no) v Oxford MCCU.
- Liam Sercombe warns Oxford United to watch out for Danny Hylton wind-ups
- FOOTBALL: Jack Morton smashes five as Hanborough hammer Witney Royals
- FOOTBALL: Michael Hooton strikes decisive blow to fire Westminster into War Memorial Cup final
- FOOTBALL: Oxfordshire beaten in FA County Youth Cup semi-finals
- GIRLS FOOTBALL: Daisey Grover hits six-timer as Wantage Town beat Carterton Town
- FOOTBALL: Danny Taylor’s brace puts Freeland into Oxfordshire Charity Cup final
- FOOTBALL: Harry Fisher and Dan Hollis double up to put Harwell & Hendred into KO Cup final
- England Under-20 itinerary in France could rule Ryan Ledson out of three Oxford United games
- Michael Appleton calls on Oxford United to deliver in front of Sky Sports cameras at Luton Town
- Josh Ruffels signs new contract at Oxford United