It was all over bar the shouting for Oxfordshire last night as they stood on the brink of a thrashing by Wiltshire in their opening Unicorns County Championship Western Division match at Banbury.
Oxon’s makeshift side were staring down the barrel as the visitors ended day two needing just 15 runs to secure a thumping victory with all ten wickets standing.
Resuming on 154-2 in reply to Oxfordshire’s first innings total of 228, Wiltshire dominated all aspects of the game.
They were finally bowled out for 377, with Jayden Levitt, 80 not out overnight, making an impressive 152.
His runs came off 194 balls, with 15 fours and two sixes, before he was bowled by Michael Beard.
Michael Coles piled on the agony for Oxon with an aggressive 55 off 62 balls, which included six fours and three sixes, while Oxon skipper Luke Ryan stood alone with 4-78 in trying to stem the flow of runs.
It was only when Beard (3-40) made a late entrance into the attack, that he received any wicket-taking support.
Beard then made a patient 55 off 125 balls with nine fours at the top of the Oxfordshire order.
But wickets fell around him at regular intervals, and with Wiltshire claiming the extra half hour, Oxon were bowled out for 177, leaving Wiltshire 29 to win.
However, there was only time for one over, bowled by Ashley Blanchard, and although Adam Miles blasted 14 off it, Oxon must return today for the last rites to be administered.
Scores: Oxfordshire 228 & 177 (M Beard 55), Wiltshire 377 (J Levitt 152, M Coles 55) & 14-0.
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United
- Michael Appleton warns Oxford United of wounded Bolton Wanderers
- Chey Dunkley’s determined to continue rate of progress at Oxford United
- It's not a world I recognise, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton as football is rocked by corruption charges
- FOOTBALL: Manager John Brough eyes historic FA Cup run to build North Leigh support
- FOOTBALL: Boss Andy Ballard begins four-game ban as Didcot Town face Bishops Cleeve
- RUGBY UNION: In-form Chinnor wary of potential banana skin at Redingensians
- OxVox column: How I got with the programme
- Oxford United hit by Ryan Ledson injury blow