It was all over bar the shouting for Oxfordshire last night as they stood on the brink of a thrashing by Wiltshire in their opening Unicorns County Championship Western Division match at Banbury.
Oxon’s makeshift side were staring down the barrel as the visitors ended day two needing just 15 runs to secure a thumping victory with all ten wickets standing.
Resuming on 154-2 in reply to Oxfordshire’s first innings total of 228, Wiltshire dominated all aspects of the game.
They were finally bowled out for 377, with Jayden Levitt, 80 not out overnight, making an impressive 152.
His runs came off 194 balls, with 15 fours and two sixes, before he was bowled by Michael Beard.
Michael Coles piled on the agony for Oxon with an aggressive 55 off 62 balls, which included six fours and three sixes, while Oxon skipper Luke Ryan stood alone with 4-78 in trying to stem the flow of runs.
It was only when Beard (3-40) made a late entrance into the attack, that he received any wicket-taking support.
Beard then made a patient 55 off 125 balls with nine fours at the top of the Oxfordshire order.
But wickets fell around him at regular intervals, and with Wiltshire claiming the extra half hour, Oxon were bowled out for 177, leaving Wiltshire 29 to win.
However, there was only time for one over, bowled by Ashley Blanchard, and although Adam Miles blasted 14 off it, Oxon must return today for the last rites to be administered.
Scores: Oxfordshire 228 & 177 (M Beard 55), Wiltshire 377 (J Levitt 152, M Coles 55) & 14-0.
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup
- Michael Appleton aiming to convince Conor McAleny that Oxford United is best option for next season
- North Leigh eye one more scalp as they face Oxford United in Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- Oxford City Stars request plan from EIHA to deal with potential league restructure
- DARTS: Holder Preben Krabben makes it to ODDA play-offs
- DARTS: Oxfordshire's promotion ended by heavy defeat
- CRICKET: Blewbury & Wallingford CC quit Cherwell League
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor keep National League 2 South play-off dream alive as Henley Hawks also win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury beat Witney as Oxford Harlequins and Grove lose, but avoid the drop
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Oxford United young keeper Lucy Brown praised after defeat