It was all over bar the shouting for Oxfordshire last night as they stood on the brink of a thrashing by Wiltshire in their opening Unicorns County Championship Western Division match at Banbury.
Oxon’s makeshift side were staring down the barrel as the visitors ended day two needing just 15 runs to secure a thumping victory with all ten wickets standing.
Resuming on 154-2 in reply to Oxfordshire’s first innings total of 228, Wiltshire dominated all aspects of the game.
They were finally bowled out for 377, with Jayden Levitt, 80 not out overnight, making an impressive 152.
His runs came off 194 balls, with 15 fours and two sixes, before he was bowled by Michael Beard.
Michael Coles piled on the agony for Oxon with an aggressive 55 off 62 balls, which included six fours and three sixes, while Oxon skipper Luke Ryan stood alone with 4-78 in trying to stem the flow of runs.
It was only when Beard (3-40) made a late entrance into the attack, that he received any wicket-taking support.
Beard then made a patient 55 off 125 balls with nine fours at the top of the Oxfordshire order.
But wickets fell around him at regular intervals, and with Wiltshire claiming the extra half hour, Oxon were bowled out for 177, leaving Wiltshire 29 to win.
However, there was only time for one over, bowled by Ashley Blanchard, and although Adam Miles blasted 14 off it, Oxon must return today for the last rites to be administered.
Scores: Oxfordshire 228 & 177 (M Beard 55), Wiltshire 377 (J Levitt 152, M Coles 55) & 14-0.
- Oxford United thought West Brom rising star Tyler Roberts would be out of their league – Fazackerley
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom