MATT Sharp and Emma Pallant stormed to victory at Blenheim Palace yesterday.
The Great Britain internationals came out on top in the tenth anniversary of the two-day 2014 Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research-sponsored event in Woodstock.
Sharp, from Enfield, clocked 58mins 43secs to beat Mark Buckingham (59.09) and David Bishop (1.00.07).
Aldershot’s Pallant, who finished second last year, completed the course in 1.06.49.
She proved too strong for Kate Roberts (1.07.33) and Sophie Coldwell (1.07.44).
Sharp, who won the Under 23 World Championship in 2011, did not think things were going to plan in the early stages, but managed to pull away from the chasing pack by the end.
“I gave it everything I had on the swim and tried to break away quite a few times on the bike, but the group was pretty big,” he said.
“Then on the run, I just tried to go hard and maintain it all the way to the finish.”
Aldershot athlete Pallant, who finished second in the race last year, was delighted to go one better this time around.
“I was so chuffed with today, mainly because the swim was good,” she said.
“I think the venue here, and especially the crowds, are fantastic and definitely help towards getting good times.
“It’s also nice to have the scenery, it really feels like you’re out and about in a park.
“You can’t beat a race like this for getting a great experience.”
More than 7,000 competitors were in action over the two days, with 162 taking part in the elite races.
Latest Sport news
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United