MATT Sharp and Emma Pallant stormed to victory at Blenheim Palace yesterday.
The Great Britain internationals came out on top in the tenth anniversary of the two-day 2014 Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research-sponsored event in Woodstock.
Sharp, from Enfield, clocked 58mins 43secs to beat Mark Buckingham (59.09) and David Bishop (1.00.07).
Aldershot’s Pallant, who finished second last year, completed the course in 1.06.49.
She proved too strong for Kate Roberts (1.07.33) and Sophie Coldwell (1.07.44).
Sharp, who won the Under 23 World Championship in 2011, did not think things were going to plan in the early stages, but managed to pull away from the chasing pack by the end.
“I gave it everything I had on the swim and tried to break away quite a few times on the bike, but the group was pretty big,” he said.
“Then on the run, I just tried to go hard and maintain it all the way to the finish.”
Aldershot athlete Pallant, who finished second in the race last year, was delighted to go one better this time around.
“I was so chuffed with today, mainly because the swim was good,” she said.
“I think the venue here, and especially the crowds, are fantastic and definitely help towards getting good times.
“It’s also nice to have the scenery, it really feels like you’re out and about in a park.
“You can’t beat a race like this for getting a great experience.”
More than 7,000 competitors were in action over the two days, with 162 taking part in the elite races.
Latest Sport news
- Back injury rules Joe Skarz out of Oxford United's game at Southend United
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Michael Appleton hoping plum draw in FA Cup will give Oxford United added incentive
- ATHLETICS: Organisers cancel third round of Oxford Mail Cross Country League
- WEEKEND RESULTS December 3-4
- FOOTBALL: Matt Sysum's goal earns victory for North Leigh
- FOOTBALL: Callum White’s fluke goal seals last-gasp win for Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: James Roberts breaks his duck as Oxford City slip to home defeat
- FOOTBALL: Supersub Lewis Coyle hits stunning four-timer for Kidlington
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton takes no risks with Vesperal Dream