MATT Sharp and Emma Pallant stormed to victory at Blenheim Palace yesterday.
The Great Britain internationals came out on top in the tenth anniversary of the two-day 2014 Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research-sponsored event in Woodstock.
Sharp, from Enfield, clocked 58mins 43secs to beat Mark Buckingham (59.09) and David Bishop (1.00.07).
Aldershot’s Pallant, who finished second last year, completed the course in 1.06.49.
She proved too strong for Kate Roberts (1.07.33) and Sophie Coldwell (1.07.44).
Sharp, who won the Under 23 World Championship in 2011, did not think things were going to plan in the early stages, but managed to pull away from the chasing pack by the end.
“I gave it everything I had on the swim and tried to break away quite a few times on the bike, but the group was pretty big,” he said.
“Then on the run, I just tried to go hard and maintain it all the way to the finish.”
Aldershot athlete Pallant, who finished second in the race last year, was delighted to go one better this time around.
“I was so chuffed with today, mainly because the swim was good,” she said.
“I think the venue here, and especially the crowds, are fantastic and definitely help towards getting good times.
“It’s also nice to have the scenery, it really feels like you’re out and about in a park.
“You can’t beat a race like this for getting a great experience.”
More than 7,000 competitors were in action over the two days, with 162 taking part in the elite races.
Latest Sport news
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United
- Majority of Oxford United fans in poll prepared to boycott EFL Trophy
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Tom Anstice claims three titles and breaks Radley club record
- BOWLS: Singles champion Chris Gilkes comes so close to historic Oxfordshire title double
- BOWLS: Headington and Carterton to vie for Oxfordshire League crown
- ATHLETICS: James Bolton wins Waddesdon Manor 5km title
- RUGBY UNION: Scrum half Greg Goodfellow backs Richard Thorpe to be big hit at Chinnor
- BAR BILLIARDS: Berinsfield in fine form in Johnson’s Buildbase Oxford & District Summer League
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee