An unbeaten half-century from Tim Morgan guided Aston Rowant to a hard-fought seven-wicket victory over visitors Oxford in a rain-shortened Serious Cricket Home Counties League Division 1 match on Saturday.
Although, they got home with just one over to spare, Rowant always looked like winners as Morgan timed the run chase to perfection.
The match was reduced to 30 overs per side after morning rain, and Oxford chose to bat first, knowing the outfield would be damp.
But Aston Rowant made that decision backfire with a good bowling display.
Nick Ferraby claimed the first three Oxford wickets, including opener Francois Vainker for their top score of 20.
That was Oxford’s problem as they had no major innings on which to build a score.
Indeed their total was boosted 40 extras, including 12 penalty runs for a slow over-rate.
Gordon Harris delivered one legitimate delivery and four wides, before coming off with a side- strain. The scorecard shows his conceding 12 runs off one delivery.
With Ricky Hopwood and Adam Muttitt also having success with the ball, Oxford slumped to 98-8.
Only some tail-end resistance from Ian Evans and Brad Sutherland liffted them to 138 , but crucially they were all out with ten balls left unbowled.
Hopwood, Muttitt and Ferraby picked up three wickets apiece.
With Morgan (56no) providing the backbone of the run chase, Rowant kept their wickets intact in the first 20 overs.
Archie Leon then provided the acceleration, hitting 26 off 22 balls with some hefty sweep shots – conventional and reverse – before leaving Morgan and Chris Watling to guide the hosts to victory.
Latest Sport news
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers
- Oxford United closing in on first new signing of January transfer window