An unbeaten half-century from Tim Morgan guided Aston Rowant to a hard-fought seven-wicket victory over visitors Oxford in a rain-shortened Serious Cricket Home Counties League Division 1 match on Saturday.
Although, they got home with just one over to spare, Rowant always looked like winners as Morgan timed the run chase to perfection.
The match was reduced to 30 overs per side after morning rain, and Oxford chose to bat first, knowing the outfield would be damp.
But Aston Rowant made that decision backfire with a good bowling display.
Nick Ferraby claimed the first three Oxford wickets, including opener Francois Vainker for their top score of 20.
That was Oxford’s problem as they had no major innings on which to build a score.
Indeed their total was boosted 40 extras, including 12 penalty runs for a slow over-rate.
Gordon Harris delivered one legitimate delivery and four wides, before coming off with a side- strain. The scorecard shows his conceding 12 runs off one delivery.
With Ricky Hopwood and Adam Muttitt also having success with the ball, Oxford slumped to 98-8.
Only some tail-end resistance from Ian Evans and Brad Sutherland liffted them to 138 , but crucially they were all out with ten balls left unbowled.
Hopwood, Muttitt and Ferraby picked up three wickets apiece.
With Morgan (56no) providing the backbone of the run chase, Rowant kept their wickets intact in the first 20 overs.
Archie Leon then provided the acceleration, hitting 26 off 22 balls with some hefty sweep shots – conventional and reverse – before leaving Morgan and Chris Watling to guide the hosts to victory.
Latest Sport news
- Rob Hall sets up two goals on Oxford United return
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later
- FOOTBALL: Sam Barder is Didcot’s match-winner while Banbury and Kidlington earn draws and Wantage are thrashed
- FOOTBALL: Mansfield Road stay top of Oxfordshire Senior League
- FOOTBALL: North Berks leaders Berinsfield are in seventh heaven
- FOOTBALL: Damini Bhagat bags five as unbeaten Oxford City girls prove too strong
- FOOTBALL: Oxfordshire Schools are beaten in first match
- Ryan Ledson and Rob Hall to deliver twin boost for Oxford United tomorrow
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell focused on ensuring losing European Tour card is just a minor setback