An unbeaten half-century from Tim Morgan guided Aston Rowant to a hard-fought seven-wicket victory over visitors Oxford in a rain-shortened Serious Cricket Home Counties League Division 1 match on Saturday.
Although, they got home with just one over to spare, Rowant always looked like winners as Morgan timed the run chase to perfection.
The match was reduced to 30 overs per side after morning rain, and Oxford chose to bat first, knowing the outfield would be damp.
But Aston Rowant made that decision backfire with a good bowling display.
Nick Ferraby claimed the first three Oxford wickets, including opener Francois Vainker for their top score of 20.
That was Oxford’s problem as they had no major innings on which to build a score.
Indeed their total was boosted 40 extras, including 12 penalty runs for a slow over-rate.
Gordon Harris delivered one legitimate delivery and four wides, before coming off with a side- strain. The scorecard shows his conceding 12 runs off one delivery.
With Ricky Hopwood and Adam Muttitt also having success with the ball, Oxford slumped to 98-8.
Only some tail-end resistance from Ian Evans and Brad Sutherland liffted them to 138 , but crucially they were all out with ten balls left unbowled.
Hopwood, Muttitt and Ferraby picked up three wickets apiece.
With Morgan (56no) providing the backbone of the run chase, Rowant kept their wickets intact in the first 20 overs.
Archie Leon then provided the acceleration, hitting 26 off 22 balls with some hefty sweep shots – conventional and reverse – before leaving Morgan and Chris Watling to guide the hosts to victory.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United thought West Brom rising star Tyler Roberts would be out of their league – Fazackerley
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom