Oxford City’s lingering fears that they may yet be relegated from Conference North were dispelled yesterday when the Football Association threw out an appeal by Hayes & Yeading United.
Hayes fell out of the Conference South last month following a dramatic final-day home defeat by Dover Athletic.
However, Phil Babb’s side moved to try and save themselves from the drop by appealing to the FA.
They claimed that as Vauxhall Motors tendered their resignation from Conference North last March, they should have remained at that level of non-League football rather than City.
Their argument was based on the fact that they ended the campaign on 45 points, eight more than City, in their respective divisions.
But the FA rejected their appeal.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats Club survive scare to stay top of Section 2
- GOLF: Latest results from across Oxfordshire