SOUTH EAST REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
CITY of Oxford’s Callum Smart is ranked No 1 in Great Britain following his performance in the regional age group championships at Crawley.
Smart came second in the 13-year-old 200m breastroke, with a time of 2mins 38.37secs.
But Smart is ranked first in Britain for his age group because the winner will turn 14 before the national championships on August 3. In the same race, Smart’s City clubmate Connor Bryan bagged a bronze with a national qualifying time (NQT) of 2.39.03.
This was a second medal for Bryan, who also came third in the 13-year-old 100m race, in a NQT of 1.15.55.
Theo Cooke claimed a fourth breastroke medal for the City boys, with a silver in the 11-year-old 100m event with a time of 1.26.31.
For City’s girls, Delphine Little, 11, took bronzes in the 100m butterfly (1.18.01) and 100m backstroke (1.14.17).
Further success came in the 14-years-and-under 4x100m medley relay where City’s in-form team of Ellie Millington, Maia Little, Emily Nisbet and Olivia Webster won silver in an NQT of 4.34.24.
Abingdon Vale’s Emily Ford excelled with three medals.
The 12-year-old won a silver in the 100m backstroke in a time of 1.10.04.
She also took bronzes in the 100m butterfly (1.10.94) and in the 200m backstroke (2.33.64).
Clubmate Daniel McNamara, 11, shone with bronzes in the 200m freestyle (2.25.15) and the 100m backstroke (1.16.10).
Abingdon’s Lottie James and Max Bolcato took part in their first regional champs achieving long course personal best times.
There were also some fine swims from Oliver Hodgson and Luke Wilby.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas
- Oxford United sign striker Wes Thomas and defender Aaron Martin
- Oxford United's new faces help take squad to higher level, says Michael Appleton
- ATHLETICS: Nathan Douglas upbeat heading into make-or-break Olympic trials
- ANGLING: Littlemore ease into Supercup semi-finals
- BOXING: Darius Skop dominates in win over rival Jody Meikle
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 60s in last-over victory
- CRICKET: Dylan Driscoll stars in Oxfordshire Under 10s victory
- MOTORSPORT: Nathan Harrison recovers from penalty to move top of the standings
- LACROSSE: Oxford City to hold taster session for all abilities