Berinsfield light heavyweight Michael Lobb made a successful start to his professional career with a hard-fought points victory over Derby’s Elvis Dube in London.
The 27-year-old had a successful amateur career reaching a national NABC final in Liverpool where he lost to the now-famous Kell Brooke.
And he made his first venture into the pro game a winning one by recording a 39-38 verdict over the experienced Dube at the Camden Centre, Kings Cross.
Lobb made good use of his height and reach advantage to keep his opponent at bay with his long jab in the first two rounds of the four-round contest.
Dube, whose ring record stood at five wins and a draw from his 32 bouts, hit back in the third round, catching Lobb with some powerful hooks to the head with both hands.
The Berinsfield debutant wobbled briefly, but held on to reach the bell.
And the fourth round showed Dube had used up all his energy as Lobb regained his composure, picking up points with his jab to edge the verdict.
Now he hopes to return to the ring for his next fight in July.
- Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton hoping to bring in two on deadline day
- FOOTBALL: Martin Wilkinson quits as Kidlington manager
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row