Berinsfield light heavyweight Michael Lobb made a successful start to his professional career with a hard-fought points victory over Derby’s Elvis Dube in London.
The 27-year-old had a successful amateur career reaching a national NABC final in Liverpool where he lost to the now-famous Kell Brooke.
And he made his first venture into the pro game a winning one by recording a 39-38 verdict over the experienced Dube at the Camden Centre, Kings Cross.
Lobb made good use of his height and reach advantage to keep his opponent at bay with his long jab in the first two rounds of the four-round contest.
Dube, whose ring record stood at five wins and a draw from his 32 bouts, hit back in the third round, catching Lobb with some powerful hooks to the head with both hands.
The Berinsfield debutant wobbled briefly, but held on to reach the bell.
And the fourth round showed Dube had used up all his energy as Lobb regained his composure, picking up points with his jab to edge the verdict.
Now he hopes to return to the ring for his next fight in July.
- Latest Sport news
- Chris Maguire loving life at Oxford United – but it's 'too early' for contract talks
- Rob Hall eyes final fitness milestone in Oxford United's clash with Oldham Athletic
- Young Oxford United squad need me to be an assertive leader – Michael Appleton
- Oldham Athletic skipper calls for FA Cup response at Oxford United
- BOXING: Ex-world champion Steve Collins sees Oxford fighters star
- FOOTBALL: John Brough bidding to make more history for North Leigh in Trophy
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United boosted as Conor McDonagh turns down move to rivals
- FOOTBALL: Mike Fondop returns to give Oxford City a big lift
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor sign London Welsh hooker Koree Britton to boost title hopes
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal