ETHAN Rose and Safia Khimji won all three mixed matches to help Oxfordshire’s Under 13 team claim their highest finish in the Shires finals.
The pair, under-age for the event, starred as the county finished the nine-month competition sixth out of 32.
It concluded at Walsall, where a tough draw saw Oxon paired with eventual runners-up Warwickshire.
The mixed and singles matches were split 6-6, but Oxon’s doubles were edged out in an 11-9 defeat.
A thumping 14-6 victory over Hampshire put them into the fifth/sixth place play-off against Surrey.
The tournament favourites lived up to their billing in the final match, winning 14-6 to leave Oxfordshire sixth.
In addition to the mixed pair’s victories, there was also notable success for Jamie Redfern, who won his three singles matches.
Latest Sport news
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell among leading pack after first round in Thailand
- Majority of Oxford United fans in poll prepared to boycott EFL Trophy
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Tom Anstice claims three titles and breaks Radley club record
- BOWLS: Singles champion Chris Gilkes comes so close to historic Oxfordshire title double
- BOWLS: Headington and Carterton to vie for Oxfordshire League crown