ETHAN Rose and Safia Khimji won all three mixed matches to help Oxfordshire’s Under 13 team claim their highest finish in the Shires finals.
The pair, under-age for the event, starred as the county finished the nine-month competition sixth out of 32.
It concluded at Walsall, where a tough draw saw Oxon paired with eventual runners-up Warwickshire.
The mixed and singles matches were split 6-6, but Oxon’s doubles were edged out in an 11-9 defeat.
A thumping 14-6 victory over Hampshire put them into the fifth/sixth place play-off against Surrey.
The tournament favourites lived up to their billing in the final match, winning 14-6 to leave Oxfordshire sixth.
In addition to the mixed pair’s victories, there was also notable success for Jamie Redfern, who won his three singles matches.
Latest Sport news
- UD Marbella to provide Oxford United's sole opposition at training camp in Spain
- Oxford United season ticket sales near 4,000 target
- Joe Skarz and Ryan Taylor thrilled to return injury-free for Oxford United's pre-season
- EFL Trophy controversy rumbles on with under 23 teams and shoot-outs for draws
- GOLF: Steady Eddie Pepperell gets off to solid start at the French Open
- BOWLS: Carterton suffer blow to Oxfordshire League Division 1 title hopes
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire teenager Alexis Canter handed junior Wimbledon wildcard
- ATHLETICS: Jade O'Dowda impresses to go top of under 17 heptathlon rankings
- BOWLS: Oxfordshire weather storm to beat Surrey in Middleton Cup
- RUBGY UNION: Theo Brophy-Clews relishing steep learning curve