ETHAN Rose and Safia Khimji won all three mixed matches to help Oxfordshire’s Under 13 team claim their highest finish in the Shires finals.
The pair, under-age for the event, starred as the county finished the nine-month competition sixth out of 32.
It concluded at Walsall, where a tough draw saw Oxon paired with eventual runners-up Warwickshire.
The mixed and singles matches were split 6-6, but Oxon’s doubles were edged out in an 11-9 defeat.
A thumping 14-6 victory over Hampshire put them into the fifth/sixth place play-off against Surrey.
The tournament favourites lived up to their billing in the final match, winning 14-6 to leave Oxfordshire sixth.
In addition to the mixed pair’s victories, there was also notable success for Jamie Redfern, who won his three singles matches.
Latest Sport news
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival