OXFORDSHIRE celebrated one of their best Under 10 County Cup results in recent years with a series of fine displays.
A superb performance from the girls, who were playing at North Oxford LTC, saw them finish runners-up, with the boys, in action at Oxford Sports LTC, taking third place.
The four-strong team of Ruth Tyson, Chloe Elliott, both from Eynsham, Abingdon’s Matilda Mutavdzic and Diana Mascenikova, of Oxford, started well with a 6-2 victory over Buckinghamshire.
They were beaten by Middlesex in the second round of matches, but hit back well with a brace of 6-2 successes over Essex and Berkshire on the final day to secure second place.
The star performance came from Mutavdzic, who won all four singles matches and three out of four doubles with Chloe Elliott.
The boys team of Felipe Stervid (Oxford), Xavier Mohindra (Chieveley), Aidan Casey (Farmoor) and Sebastian Muller (Appleton) recovered well from a losing start.
A 6-2 defeat against Middlesex in the opening match was forgotten about with an impressive 8-0 success over the Channel Islands.
Another 6-2 defeat, this time at the hands of Essex, meant they could not challenge for the title, but they secured third place with a thrilling shoot-out victory over Berkshire.
Three-set wins by Stervid and Casey meant Oxon were 4-2 up going into the doubles.
An agonising 11-9 defeat by Stervid and Casey meant that the match needed to be settled on a shoot-out.
Stervid and Mohindra held their nerve, winning 10-7, for an overall 5-4 win and third place.
Stervid, playing at No 1, won three of four singles matches.
- ST Helen and St Katharine’s, Abingdon, defeated Marlborough College 8-4 to win the regional division of the LTA’s National Schools Tennis Championships.
The four-strong team of Alice Atkins, Lizzy Shortis, Felicity Wilkins and Clare Pearson now play the National finals of the Aberdare Cup in Sheffield next month.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United catch their breath ahead of fixture 'carnage'
- Two years on, Joe Skarz is so thankful he took 'massive step' to join Oxford United
- Michael Appleton: Oxford United off-field wranglings 'not a massive issue as long as I know what's going on'
- UPDATE: Oxford United's FA Cup clash against Newcastle United is a sell-out
- From the Oxford United boardroom column: Why we issued the stadium statement now
- Rochdale's winning run at home should be an incentive for Oxford United, says Curtis Nelson
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell misses cut at Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship
- FOOTBALL: Josh Ashby loan extension from Oxford United is ‘like a new signing’, says Oxford City boss Mark Jones
- RUGBY UNION: Matt Williams urges Chinnor to build momentum in National League 2 South
- FOOTBALL: Kidlington manager Julian McCalmon backs Anaclet Odhiambo to shrug off penalty miss