OXFORDSHIRE celebrated one of their best Under 10 County Cup results in recent years with a series of fine displays.
A superb performance from the girls, who were playing at North Oxford LTC, saw them finish runners-up, with the boys, in action at Oxford Sports LTC, taking third place.
The four-strong team of Ruth Tyson, Chloe Elliott, both from Eynsham, Abingdon’s Matilda Mutavdzic and Diana Mascenikova, of Oxford, started well with a 6-2 victory over Buckinghamshire.
They were beaten by Middlesex in the second round of matches, but hit back well with a brace of 6-2 successes over Essex and Berkshire on the final day to secure second place.
The star performance came from Mutavdzic, who won all four singles matches and three out of four doubles with Chloe Elliott.
The boys team of Felipe Stervid (Oxford), Xavier Mohindra (Chieveley), Aidan Casey (Farmoor) and Sebastian Muller (Appleton) recovered well from a losing start.
A 6-2 defeat against Middlesex in the opening match was forgotten about with an impressive 8-0 success over the Channel Islands.
Another 6-2 defeat, this time at the hands of Essex, meant they could not challenge for the title, but they secured third place with a thrilling shoot-out victory over Berkshire.
Three-set wins by Stervid and Casey meant Oxon were 4-2 up going into the doubles.
An agonising 11-9 defeat by Stervid and Casey meant that the match needed to be settled on a shoot-out.
Stervid and Mohindra held their nerve, winning 10-7, for an overall 5-4 win and third place.
Stervid, playing at No 1, won three of four singles matches.
- ST Helen and St Katharine’s, Abingdon, defeated Marlborough College 8-4 to win the regional division of the LTA’s National Schools Tennis Championships.
The four-strong team of Alice Atkins, Lizzy Shortis, Felicity Wilkins and Clare Pearson now play the National finals of the Aberdare Cup in Sheffield next month.
Latest Sport news
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy
- VARSITY MATCH: Pressure is still on us, admits Oxford University winger Tom Stileman
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars slip to fourth after narrow loss