OXFORDSHIRE celebrated one of their best Under 10 County Cup results in recent years with a series of fine displays.
A superb performance from the girls, who were playing at North Oxford LTC, saw them finish runners-up, with the boys, in action at Oxford Sports LTC, taking third place.
The four-strong team of Ruth Tyson, Chloe Elliott, both from Eynsham, Abingdon’s Matilda Mutavdzic and Diana Mascenikova, of Oxford, started well with a 6-2 victory over Buckinghamshire.
They were beaten by Middlesex in the second round of matches, but hit back well with a brace of 6-2 successes over Essex and Berkshire on the final day to secure second place.
The star performance came from Mutavdzic, who won all four singles matches and three out of four doubles with Chloe Elliott.
The boys team of Felipe Stervid (Oxford), Xavier Mohindra (Chieveley), Aidan Casey (Farmoor) and Sebastian Muller (Appleton) recovered well from a losing start.
A 6-2 defeat against Middlesex in the opening match was forgotten about with an impressive 8-0 success over the Channel Islands.
Another 6-2 defeat, this time at the hands of Essex, meant they could not challenge for the title, but they secured third place with a thrilling shoot-out victory over Berkshire.
Three-set wins by Stervid and Casey meant Oxon were 4-2 up going into the doubles.
An agonising 11-9 defeat by Stervid and Casey meant that the match needed to be settled on a shoot-out.
Stervid and Mohindra held their nerve, winning 10-7, for an overall 5-4 win and third place.
Stervid, playing at No 1, won three of four singles matches.
- ST Helen and St Katharine’s, Abingdon, defeated Marlborough College 8-4 to win the regional division of the LTA’s National Schools Tennis Championships.
The four-strong team of Alice Atkins, Lizzy Shortis, Felicity Wilkins and Clare Pearson now play the National finals of the Aberdare Cup in Sheffield next month.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United thought West Brom rising star Tyler Roberts would be out of their league – Fazackerley
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell slips down the field after second round in Thailand
- ROWING: Zoe de Toledo’s eyeing Olympic gold hunt in Rio
- CRICKET: Abingdon Vale teenager Ben Charlesworth to make Oxfordshire debut against Devon
- CRICKET: Banbury captain Lloyd Sabin delighted with Luke Ryan's form ahead of High Wycombe clash
- CRICKET: Skipper Charlie Brain rallies Shipton-under-Wychwood ahead of Horspath challenge
- ROWING: Duarte bags sculls success
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000