OXFORD Saints recorded their fourth straight win of the season after beating previously-unbeaten Peterborough Saxons 34-14.
In their first home game of the season, played in front of a decent-sized crowd at Abingdon RFC, Saints maintained top spot in the National Central Division with a superb display.
They went ahead from their first attack of the game, veteran running back Jonny Dover charging in for a touchdown.
Spencer Duffy kicked the extra point to put Oxford 7-0 ahead.
That lead was soon doubled when running back James Ferrigno charged through the defence for the second score of the game, Duffy again adding the extras.
The visitors hit back soon after, James Hilliard scoring from an eight-yard run.
The extra point put Peterborough back in touch at 14-7 down.
However, Saints soon extended their lead once again when they capped an 80-yard drive with Stephen Bentley dragging three Saxons’ men into the end zone to score.
The extra point kick was missed, leaving Oxford 20-7 ahead.
As half-time approached, Saxons gave themselves a lifeline when the visiting quarterback darted over for a touchdown.
The extra points made it 20-14 at the interval, but Oxford wasted no time in reasserting their authority on the game following the restart.
Bentley’s six-yard touchdown run gave him his second score of the game, and with the Oxford defensive line keeping the visitors at bay, time was running out.
And the hosts sealed an impressive display when Ferrigno scored his second touchdown of the game to complete a 34-14 success.
Saints travel to Shropshire Revolution this Sunday bidding for five straight wins.
Latest Sport news
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers