OXFORD Saints recorded their fourth straight win of the season after beating previously-unbeaten Peterborough Saxons 34-14.
In their first home game of the season, played in front of a decent-sized crowd at Abingdon RFC, Saints maintained top spot in the National Central Division with a superb display.
They went ahead from their first attack of the game, veteran running back Jonny Dover charging in for a touchdown.
Spencer Duffy kicked the extra point to put Oxford 7-0 ahead.
That lead was soon doubled when running back James Ferrigno charged through the defence for the second score of the game, Duffy again adding the extras.
The visitors hit back soon after, James Hilliard scoring from an eight-yard run.
The extra point put Peterborough back in touch at 14-7 down.
However, Saints soon extended their lead once again when they capped an 80-yard drive with Stephen Bentley dragging three Saxons’ men into the end zone to score.
The extra point kick was missed, leaving Oxford 20-7 ahead.
As half-time approached, Saxons gave themselves a lifeline when the visiting quarterback darted over for a touchdown.
The extra points made it 20-14 at the interval, but Oxford wasted no time in reasserting their authority on the game following the restart.
Bentley’s six-yard touchdown run gave him his second score of the game, and with the Oxford defensive line keeping the visitors at bay, time was running out.
And the hosts sealed an impressive display when Ferrigno scored his second touchdown of the game to complete a 34-14 success.
Saints travel to Shropshire Revolution this Sunday bidding for five straight wins.
Latest Sport news
- OxVox lift lid on stadium bid but talks will remain on hold until Sartori interest in U's concludes
- POINT-TO-POINT: Will Biddick does not expect home advantage to help Great Britain in Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- Oxford United give Conor McAleny deadline on contract offer
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Fightback comes too late to save Oxford Saints against Brighton
- RUGBY UNION: Keble celebrate Oxford University Men's Cup triumph
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City's veterans set the pace to clinch national road relays gold
- BOWLS: Champions Carterton are run close by Banbury Central
- BAR BILLIARDS: Vikings A exact revenge to reach KO final
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury set up girls side for the first time
- BOWLS: Orren Benfield and David Leighfield land Oxfordshire Under 25 pairs title