Oxford’s Andrew Triggs Hodge led Great Britain to gold in the men’s four after a blistering performance in Belgrade yesterday.
Partnered by Alex Gregory, George Nash and Mohamed Sbihi, the British crew led from start to finish to take victory in a European best time of 5mins, 46.86 secs.
Triggs Hodge said: “We have a lot of power in that boat and we’ve been working on harnessing that technically.”
Polly Swann, from Henley’s Leander club, and Helen Glover added the European title to their World gold of 2013 in the women’s pair in a championship best time.
Henley’s Peter Lambert teamed up with Graeme Thomas, Sam Townsend and Charles Cousins, to take silver in the men’s quadruple scull.
Brothers Peter and Richard Chambers, both former Oxford Brookes University students, linked up with Mark Aldred and Chris Bartley to take silver in the lightweight men’s four.
Oxford Blue Pete Reed, Henley’s Will Satch and Oxford Brookes University pair Scott Durant and Matthew Tarrant combined with Phil Congdon, Oliver Cook, Matthew Gotrel, and James Foad to win bronze in the men’s eight.
Oxford duo Katie Greves and Olivia Carnegie-Brown took silver in the women’s eight.
They were in a crew along with the Leander trio of Rosamund Bradbury, Louisa Reeve and cox Zoe de Toldeo, plus Jessica Eddie, Donna Etiebet, Zoe Lee and Caragh McMurty.
Wheatley’s Frances Houghton finished fifth with Victoria Thornley in the women’s double skull.
GB Rowing Team Performance Director, Sir David Tanner was delighted by the performances of the team.
“The strongest thing is how our team has progressed through the championships,” he said.
“We came here needing a bit of a spring clean and I think the rowers have stepped up wonderfully taking some medals that didn’t seem to be quite there on Friday.
“We can go away and be pleased with our first significant European challenge.”
Latest Sport news
- Highly-rated teenager Tyler Roberts joins Oxford United on loan from West Brom
- Darryl Eales: Fan boycott would hurt Oxford United more than the EFL Trophy
- Oxford United's record-breaking season ticket sales pass 5,000
- VIDEO: Watch Oxford United signing Tyler Roberts scoring for West Brom
- Kane Hemmings out to make immediate impact at Oxford United
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell among leading pack after first round in Thailand
- Majority of Oxford United fans in poll prepared to boycott EFL Trophy
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Tom Anstice claims three titles and breaks Radley club record
- BOWLS: Singles champion Chris Gilkes comes so close to historic Oxfordshire title double
- BOWLS: Headington and Carterton to vie for Oxfordshire League crown