Great & Little Tew’s bowlers ripped through Horspath’s batting to secure a 55-run home victory in Division 2 of the Serious Cricket Home Counties Premier League on Saturday.
With the match being reduced to 45 overs a side after the start was delayed until 12.40pm to give the ground time to dry out, Tew were put in to bat after losing the toss.
Not surprisingly, the hosts found runs hard to come by with Horspath skipper Will Eason conceding just 11 runs from his nine overs while picking up the wicket of Jordan Garrett.
But Joe White and Harry Smith stood firm to put together what proved to be a match-winning partnership of 76 for the second wicket.
Their cause was helped by an 11-ball over littered with wides from Mark Skelton, which helped release the pressure.
Fourteen-year-old left arm spinner Lloyd Belcher ended their stand, having White caught by Robbie Eason at long off for 38 to make it 95-2.
Shahbaz Ali then returned for a fiery second spell, bowling in tandem with the youngster and they proceeded to work their way through the Tew order.
Ali bowled Curtly Slatter and then had Smith caught behind by Andy Wynd for an excellent 52 off 68 balls, with three fours and two sixes.
But the lower order offered little resistance as Ali finished with 5-46 and Belcher, showing maturity beyond his years, picked up 4-21 off nine overs as Tew were bowled out for 171.
However, Horspath’s hopes of victory were soon in tatters, thanks to an inspired opening burst by Matt Woods, who took 3-16 from his nine overs.
He pulled off brilliant one-handed caught and bowled dimissals to remove both openers Robbie Eason and Skelton.
With Lloyd Brock (2-17) and Robbie Shurmer (3-25) also also getting in on the act, Horspath collapsed to 43-7.
Will Eason and Kit Cutter, batting with a runner after pulling a hamstring while fielding, helped salvage some respectability for the visitors.
But there was no way back as Horspath were bowled out for 116 to leave Tew convincing winners as they climbed up to second place in the table as the visitors dropped to seventh.
Great & Little Tew 20 pts, Horspath 6
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United
- Tyler Roberts holds his nerve as Oxford United make it third time lucky with shoot-out win over Southend
- Southend United 1 (Wordsworth 86), Oxford United 1 (Maguire 81) (Oxford win 4-3 on pens)
- Oxford United's Emirates FA Cup replay not selected for live television coverage
- FOOTBALL: Eynsham SSC end three-month wait for win in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Double for Charlie Lee as unbeaten Berinsfield maintain North Berks League Division 1 title tilt
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh lose 3-0 lead as Hereford grab draw in eventful game for ex-Didcot Town men
- FOOTBALL: Ismael Liverpool shines as Cropredy go fourth
- FOOTBALL: Liam Jones grabs hat-trick as Bodicote Sports reach Under 12 KO Cup last four
- FOOTBALL: Cumnor Minors beat Tower Hill on penalties in Under 15 KO Cup