There was local success in the early rounds of the Henman Solicitiors LTA Grade 4 tournament at Woodstock .
In the inaugural men’s competition, Rob Powell (Woodstock) defeated Charlie Lane, from Abingdon, 7-5, 6-1 in the final.
In the 16 & under girls event, Saffy Gujral (Woodstock) had her best win of the year by defeating second seed Sofie Watkins (Surrey) 6-3, 6-7, 10-4 in the semi-final.
It set up a meeting with older sister and top seed Taysie (Woodstock), who came out on top 6-0, 6-1 to win her first 16&U title.
Jana Cooper-Marcos (Oxford) lost the 12 & under girls final 4-2, 4-1 to Hannah Smith (Hampshire).
A rain-affected British Tour event at North Oxford is due to conclude this afternoon.
The tournament gives the chance for Oxfordshire’s strongest upcoming players, Seb Rey and Alexis Canter, to compete locally after their international travels.
Rey, seeded seventh, won his first round match 6-3, 6-1 against Surrey’s Adam Skalsky.
Lucy Brown, from Elsfield, is number one seed in the women’s event.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United knocked out of FA Youth Cup by Bristol Rovers in first round
- Christian Ribeiro upbeat on painful path to long-awaited Oxford United debut
- RUGBY UNION: Sorry Bulls trampled by high-fliers
- BAR BILLIARDS: Vikings A and B teams go through to next round
- ICE HOCKEY: Hallam Wilson's hat-trick seals double raid for the high-flying Oxford City Stars
- MOTORSPORT: Banbury's Darren Turner is crowned champion in Le Mans Series GTE Championship
- ATHLETICS: Brilliant Paul Fernandez proves class above to win Abingdon Marathon
- Rob Hall sets up two goals on Oxford United return
- UPDATE: New ticket details for Oxford United's FA Cup tie at Merstham announced
- Ex-Oxford United striker Jefferson Louis loving return to area with Oxford City – 32 transfers later