There was local success in the early rounds of the Henman Solicitiors LTA Grade 4 tournament at Woodstock .
In the inaugural men’s competition, Rob Powell (Woodstock) defeated Charlie Lane, from Abingdon, 7-5, 6-1 in the final.
In the 16 & under girls event, Saffy Gujral (Woodstock) had her best win of the year by defeating second seed Sofie Watkins (Surrey) 6-3, 6-7, 10-4 in the semi-final.
It set up a meeting with older sister and top seed Taysie (Woodstock), who came out on top 6-0, 6-1 to win her first 16&U title.
Jana Cooper-Marcos (Oxford) lost the 12 & under girls final 4-2, 4-1 to Hannah Smith (Hampshire).
A rain-affected British Tour event at North Oxford is due to conclude this afternoon.
The tournament gives the chance for Oxfordshire’s strongest upcoming players, Seb Rey and Alexis Canter, to compete locally after their international travels.
Rey, seeded seventh, won his first round match 6-3, 6-1 against Surrey’s Adam Skalsky.
Lucy Brown, from Elsfield, is number one seed in the women’s event.
Latest Sport news
- Kemar Roofe on a mission to make Oxford United starting line-up
- Composure will be key for Oxford United in sprint for the finish, says Michael Appleton
- Gareth Ainsworth aiming for Wycombe to make more memories at Oxford United's expense
- Michael Appleton puts faith in Oxford United injured players to make right call
- Oxford United goalkeeper Benji Buchel ready for Wycombe bombardment
- POINT-TO-POINT: Victoria Pendleton returns to the saddle at Kingston Blount
- TENNIS: Oxfordshire youngsters reach national finals after dramatic shoot-out
- CRICKET: No knee-jerk reactions for Oxfordshire, says captain Luke Ryan
- CRICKET: Lloyd Sabin ready to lead Banbury in Division 1 of Home Counties Premier League
- CRICKET: Oxford bidding to bounce back in Home Counties Premier League under new captain John Barrett