A group of students from Oxford enjoyed the chance of a lifetime when they got to play at the Home of Cricket.
Pupils from St Mary and St John Primary School were among 600 youngsters from across the country invited to an MCC Spirit of Cricket Open Day at Lord’s.
The day included a tour of the famous ground in London and an opportunity to play on the outfield along with members of the England Women’s team.
It was hosted by television presented Mark Nicholas, while former England captain Mike Gatting, now MCC President, fast bowler Chris Tremlett and England women’s skipper Charlotte Edwards, were also involved.
Gareth Keymer, PE co-ordinator and year six teacher at the school, said: “My pupils especially enjoyed playing cricket on the hallowed turf, as the majority of them knew how lucky they were to be given the unique opportunity to do so.
“The whole day was an amazing experience, which the children and I thoroughly enjoyed – it will never be forgotten.”
Pupil Max Baldock said: “The open day at Lord’s was a brilliant experience and I will never forget going onto the pitch to bowl.”
The event was organised in partnership with Chance to Shine, which aims to increasing participation in cricket at school.
St Mary and St John were selected to represent Oxford after supporting several initiatives run by the charity in the past.
Latest Sport news
- There are some good signs, says Oxford United boss Michael Appleton after 2-2 draw at Port Vale
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Curtis Nelson calls on Oxford United to learn from Port Vale draw
- Oxford United defender Joe Skarz happy with return from injury but frustrated with Port Vale draw
- FOOTBALL: Skipper Scott Davies is sent off as depleted Oxford City hold on for point
- Weekend results: October 22 & 23
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United's fine unbeaten run is ended at hands of Frome
- FOOTBALL: Last-gasp Jordan Graham goal earns Didcot Town a point at Hereford
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith pleased with points haul at Phillip Island
- MOTORSPORT: Felipe Massa lands top ten spot for Williams at US Grand Prix