A group of students from Oxford enjoyed the chance of a lifetime when they got to play at the Home of Cricket.
Pupils from St Mary and St John Primary School were among 600 youngsters from across the country invited to an MCC Spirit of Cricket Open Day at Lord’s.
The day included a tour of the famous ground in London and an opportunity to play on the outfield along with members of the England Women’s team.
It was hosted by television presented Mark Nicholas, while former England captain Mike Gatting, now MCC President, fast bowler Chris Tremlett and England women’s skipper Charlotte Edwards, were also involved.
Gareth Keymer, PE co-ordinator and year six teacher at the school, said: “My pupils especially enjoyed playing cricket on the hallowed turf, as the majority of them knew how lucky they were to be given the unique opportunity to do so.
“The whole day was an amazing experience, which the children and I thoroughly enjoyed – it will never be forgotten.”
Pupil Max Baldock said: “The open day at Lord’s was a brilliant experience and I will never forget going onto the pitch to bowl.”
The event was organised in partnership with Chance to Shine, which aims to increasing participation in cricket at school.
St Mary and St John were selected to represent Oxford after supporting several initiatives run by the charity in the past.
Latest Sport news
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival