A group of students from Oxford enjoyed the chance of a lifetime when they got to play at the Home of Cricket.
Pupils from St Mary and St John Primary School were among 600 youngsters from across the country invited to an MCC Spirit of Cricket Open Day at Lord’s.
The day included a tour of the famous ground in London and an opportunity to play on the outfield along with members of the England Women’s team.
It was hosted by television presented Mark Nicholas, while former England captain Mike Gatting, now MCC President, fast bowler Chris Tremlett and England women’s skipper Charlotte Edwards, were also involved.
Gareth Keymer, PE co-ordinator and year six teacher at the school, said: “My pupils especially enjoyed playing cricket on the hallowed turf, as the majority of them knew how lucky they were to be given the unique opportunity to do so.
“The whole day was an amazing experience, which the children and I thoroughly enjoyed – it will never be forgotten.”
Pupil Max Baldock said: “The open day at Lord’s was a brilliant experience and I will never forget going onto the pitch to bowl.”
The event was organised in partnership with Chance to Shine, which aims to increasing participation in cricket at school.
St Mary and St John were selected to represent Oxford after supporting several initiatives run by the charity in the past.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United face trip to Championship strugglers if they win FA Cup replay
- Aaron Martin determined low Checkatrade Trophy turn-out is not a distraction for Oxford United
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor and Henley enjoy victories in National League 2 South
- GOLF: When Supergran met Superman at North Oxford
- DARTS: Democrats upset Kings Arms in ODDA League
- FOOTBALL: North Leigh boss John Brough out to end former club Hereford's long run
- HOCKEY: Jack Biggs hat-trick helps Oxford Hawks rout Banbury in derby clash
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury win, but Oxford Harlequins, Witney and Grove are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Wheatley and Oxford University Whippets reach Oxfordshire Shield semi-finals
- Back injury rules Joe Skarz out of Oxford United's game at Southend United