A group of students from Oxford enjoyed the chance of a lifetime when they got to play at the Home of Cricket.
Pupils from St Mary and St John Primary School were among 600 youngsters from across the country invited to an MCC Spirit of Cricket Open Day at Lord’s.
The day included a tour of the famous ground in London and an opportunity to play on the outfield along with members of the England Women’s team.
It was hosted by television presented Mark Nicholas, while former England captain Mike Gatting, now MCC President, fast bowler Chris Tremlett and England women’s skipper Charlotte Edwards, were also involved.
Gareth Keymer, PE co-ordinator and year six teacher at the school, said: “My pupils especially enjoyed playing cricket on the hallowed turf, as the majority of them knew how lucky they were to be given the unique opportunity to do so.
“The whole day was an amazing experience, which the children and I thoroughly enjoyed – it will never be forgotten.”
Pupil Max Baldock said: “The open day at Lord’s was a brilliant experience and I will never forget going onto the pitch to bowl.”
The event was organised in partnership with Chance to Shine, which aims to increasing participation in cricket at school.
St Mary and St John were selected to represent Oxford after supporting several initiatives run by the charity in the past.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City’s adies ease to cup final win
- FOOTBALL: Arran Gray’s hat-trick clinches North Berks League Division 4 title for Blewbury
- FOOTBALL: Superlative Kidlington make it perfect season in Oxford Mail Under 12 Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Chequers win dramatic Oxford City FA Premier Cup final on penalties
- FOOTBALL: Dan Bott’s brace helps Chipping Norton to finish fourth in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Wayne Blossom shines with double as KEA secure Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: George Corti’s four-timer is in vain for Botley Boys
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup
- Michael Appleton aiming to convince Conor McAleny that Oxford United is best option for next season