A group of students from Oxford enjoyed the chance of a lifetime when they got to play at the Home of Cricket.
Pupils from St Mary and St John Primary School were among 600 youngsters from across the country invited to an MCC Spirit of Cricket Open Day at Lord’s.
The day included a tour of the famous ground in London and an opportunity to play on the outfield along with members of the England Women’s team.
It was hosted by television presented Mark Nicholas, while former England captain Mike Gatting, now MCC President, fast bowler Chris Tremlett and England women’s skipper Charlotte Edwards, were also involved.
Gareth Keymer, PE co-ordinator and year six teacher at the school, said: “My pupils especially enjoyed playing cricket on the hallowed turf, as the majority of them knew how lucky they were to be given the unique opportunity to do so.
“The whole day was an amazing experience, which the children and I thoroughly enjoyed – it will never be forgotten.”
Pupil Max Baldock said: “The open day at Lord’s was a brilliant experience and I will never forget going onto the pitch to bowl.”
The event was organised in partnership with Chance to Shine, which aims to increasing participation in cricket at school.
St Mary and St John were selected to represent Oxford after supporting several initiatives run by the charity in the past.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United run out of time in plans for temporary fourth stand against Wycombe Wanderers
- We have no reason to change preparations, says Oxford United striker Chris Maguire
- FOOTBALL: Oxford Blackbirds crowned Oxford Mail Youth League's Under 12 Division C champions
- Ollie Mersch's superb century for Minster Lovell brushes aside Combe
- Mike Ford hoping to keep star men at Banbury United
- CRICKET: Charlbury's Ashley Rump hammers super 196 not out to batter Radley in OCA
- AUNT SALLY: Barry Townsend so close to a maximum
- FOOTBALL: Berinsfield stay top but North Berks title hopes rest with rivals
- FOOTBALL: Horatio Hirst hammers four-timer as Oxfordshire seal title glory
- FOOTBALL: West Witney beat Carterton Town to boost Witney & District FA title challenge