Oxfordshire's Eddie Pepperell shot four birdies in a row after having to wait almost three hours to play in the first round at Wentworth yesterday.
The Frilford Heath professional, who showed his liking for the course with a tied sixth-place finish last year, was unable to finish his first round after two lengthy rain delays disrupted the opening day of European golf’s flag ship tournament.
Pepperell finished the day on three under par after managing to play just 12 holes. That placed him in a tie for 14th place.
He will complete his first round this morning.
But while he was out there, the 23-year-old from Abingdon, had a golden four-hole spell on the front nine.
After dropping a shot at the third, he birdied the the next four holes to go three under par and move into the top 15 of a star-studded field.
Another bogey at the eighth halted his progress, but he still played the front nine in two-under-par 33 strokes.
As the light began to fade, Pepperell birdied his last hole, the 12th, to get back to three under, He was ahead of top English stars Justin Rose and Ian Poulter, who went round in two-under-par 70s.
The day was dominated by Thomas Bjorn, who equalled the course record with a 62.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United explore possibility of fourth stand for Wycombe clash
- Oxford United are where we want to be, says Carlisle United manager Keith Curle
- James Roberts eyeing a happy ending with Oxford United after horrible season
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton hoping for different emotion on return to 'bobbins' Brunton Park
- Liam Sercombe hungry to hit one last goal target for Oxford United this season
- Deadline for Oxford United awards voting is today
- FOOTBALL: We should hold our heads high, says Oxford City general manager Justin Merritt
- RUGBY UNION: Injury-hit Oxfordshire are still strong, says head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Mike Ford wants more of the same as Banbury United prepare for play-off final
- CRICKET: Captain Luke Ryan calls on Oxfordshire to step up for Unicorns Counties Trophy opener