Liz Bamber led the way as Oxfordshire over 40s won their opening Division 2A match 6-4 against Scotland West in the Senior County League.
Despite being eligible for the over 60s team, the Bampton player got them off to a good start by winning the opening singles rubber 6-4, 6-0 against Jackie Fullerton.
Juliane Spiers (Faringdon) followed it up with a 6-2, 6-4 success over Lilian Young.
But the Scots hit back to level by coming out on top in the first two doubles matches.
First, Suzi Willis (Witney) and Lisa Morgan (Blewbury) narrowly lost in the final set tie-break, before Helen Bush (Witney) and Spiers went down in straight sets.
The match hinged on the final doubles rubber, where Morgan and Willis won 6-1, 6-3 against Fullerton and Young.
White Horse 12 and under struggled against a West Hants club, which included the top British Under 11 Toby Samuel.
Despite the 12-0 loss, the line-up of Ollie Broadhurst, Ollie Dunn and Will Taylor found it a useful experience.
In the county AEGON men’s league, Abingdon beat Banbury 8-4 to go top of the table at the half-way stage.
Tomorrow marks the start of the week-long Henmans Solicitors Tennis Tournament at Woodstock.
The LTA Grade 4 event has expanded this year to include an adult section.
Latest Sport news
- RUGBY UNION: Oscar Heath racks up the points as Chinnor clinch top-six finish
- RUGBY UNION: Battling Oxfordshire suffer opening day defeat in County Championship Shield
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ini Umotong's strike lifts Oxford United off the bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Oxford RL fall short against Toulouse Olympique
- DARTS: ODDA summer league all set to begin
- GOLF: Paterson and Averell help Studley Wood extend winning run
- Oxford United to host drinks and barbecue before crunch Wycombe clash
- Oxford United fans' chat
- Chris Maguire hails 'remarkable' away support as Oxford United beat Carlisle
- Oxford United keeper Benji Buchel so thankful to Danny Hylton for goalline clearance