The Oxford United goals that meant so much to James Constable

I fire home Oxford’s second goal at Wembley as we beat York to win promotion back into the Football League

I fire home Oxford’s second goal at Wembley as we beat York to win promotion back into the Football League

First published in Sport
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

WHITTLING the list down to a top five proved a difficult task for James Constable.

After all, what makes a goal special? Is a tap-in to win a big game better than a thumping volley which is just a mere consolation?

Memorable efforts against Luton Town and Crawley Town, both of which came after missed penalties, were close to making the list, as was the spectacular strike against Torquay United last August.

Instead, he opted to begin with a goal which isn’t on the list at all.

Goal 1 v Oxford City (pre-season friendly) Marsh Lane, August, 2008

“It was probably one of the most nervous times I have had leading into any game.

It was my first game and I was desperate to try and show what I was capable of doing.

I put a lot of pressure on myself and I had literally only signed that day. I managed to get a goal and it gave me that confidence to think I could hopefully have a long time here.

The ball came across and I just managed to get my right foot on it. It was bending away and got out of reach of the keeper.

The second it went in the pressure was off.”

And here are the top four of his 106-goal tally for the U’s.

Goal 2 v York City (Blue Square Premier play-off final) Wembley, May 16, 2010

“I had been at Wembley before with Kidderminster in the FA Trophy final three years earlier. We lost 3-2 against Stevenage, having been 2-0 up at half-time.

I scored two, but I’d had that feeling at the final whistle where the bottom of your world has fallen out.

With Oxford, we started well and Matt Green scored one of the best goals I’ve seen him get.

For my strike, Greeny flicked it on and I ran onto it. The goal looked tiny and I wanted to get a really good first touch, which took me on to my left.

I remember thinking ‘this isn’t ideal’ because I’d have rather had it on my right.

I could see a couple of defenders coming, so I had to hit it.

I managed to keep it low and I knew it was a clean strike. I just remember it going under the keeper and rolling up the back of the net.

I think I’ll struggle to relive that rush of emotion. That made it 2-0 and I thought to myself there was no way they were going to come back and score three.

I didn’t have a voice by the end of the game and I was on the verge of bursting into tears.”

Goal 3 v Swindon Town (League Two) County Ground, August 21, 2011

“Having grown up in and around that area I knew about the rivalry between the teams.

There was all the stuff leading up to it about the fact I was a Swindon fan, even though I’d been supporting Tottenham for years.

It all built towards the game and gave us that little bit of added incentive.

There was so much flying around, but we went there full of confidence, although we knew it was going to be a difficult game.

All I remember was it being absolutely boiling. It felt like 100 degrees out there and with all the noise it drained your energy.

I don’t think I can really claim the second one as a great goal, but I’ve picked the first one from the corner.

Levs (Peter Leven) put a great ball in, we had worked on spinning and getting to the near post it worked an absolute treat, I managed to block my marker and get a free header six yards out.

Oxford Mail:

  • Celebrating scoring in the derby in front of the away end

We rode our luck at times in the second half and just managed to get over the line.

We came off the pitch and everyone was sat in the changing room with absolutely nothing left.

The whole day was draining, it was an amazing experience with the fans turning up in massive numbers.

It almost felt like we had won something.

There was so much build-up that it felt like a cup final. It felt like more than three points.”

Goal 4 v Rochdale (League Two) Kassam Stadium, August 31, 2013

“My daughter Amelia was born on the Thursday, so to have my girlfriend Laura there with my daughter was special.

It had been a rollercoaster couple of days being a new dad, so to score and for her to be there is something I’ll never forget.

By the time she’s grown up, my career will probably not be where it is now.

It’s a shame, but I’ve got plenty of pictures and DVDs that I’m looking forward to being able to tell her all about it.

Goal 5 v Mansfield Town (League Two) Field Mill, November 16, 2013

“I was on the bench that day but Deano (Deane Smalley) went off injured.

I hadn’t touched the ball when Kits (Dave Kitson) played it to Ryan (Williams) and he did brilliantly to get to the byline and cut it back.

I can remember it coming to me almost in slow motion. I knew I was on 99 goals and I thought ‘I’ve just got to get it on target’.

I thought it was bobbling wide, but at the last second it came back, hit the post and went in.

All I could think about were the times at Kidderminster when we’d lost and being at Chippenham, working and being dropped.

It was strange that all I could think about were all the disappointments I’d had that led to this point.

I couldn’t have been happier, we were in a great position in the game and I was just over the moon that I’d finally got the 100th goal.”

Oxford Mail:

  • Relief as the 100th goal is brought up at Mansfield Town
  • Latest Sport news

Oxford United: Deadline day update

Oxford Mail:

12:10pm Monday 1st September 2014

MICHAEL Appleton says Oxford United are in advanced talks with their top target, but there are no guarantees a deal will be finalised before the deadline closes tonight.

Oxford United fans' discussion

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

12:00pm Monday 1st September 2014

Have your say on all the main talking points at Oxford United in our 60-minute interactive discussion for supporters.

VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's draw with Dagenham

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

11:24am Monday 1st September 2014

Oxford United got off the mark in Sky Bet League Two with a 3-3 draw at home to Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday.

Dagenham draw leaves Oxford United boss with mixed emotions

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Monday 1st September 2014

MICHAEL Appleton admitted he had never seen a game so wide open as Oxford United got off the mark with a topsy-turvy 3-3 draw at home to Dagenham & Redbridge.

FOOTBALL: Merritt upbeat despite defeat

Oxford Mail:

9:20am Monday 1st September 2014

OXFORD City general manager Justin Merritt said he was proud of his players despite defeat at Harrogate Town on Saturday.

FOOTBALL: Strafford dismissal key as Banbury lose again

Oxford Mail:

8:40am Monday 1st September 2014

BANBURY United let slip a 2-0 lead as they fell to a seventh straight league defeat this season with a 4-2 loss at Frome Town in the Southern League Premier Division.

FOOTBALL: Thame through after sensational comeback

Oxford Mail: football generic

8:30am Monday 1st September 2014

THAME United produced a sensational comeback to beat Highmoor Ibis 3-2 with the final kick of their FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday.

FOOTBALL: Margetts strike condemns City to first defeat of season

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Monday 1st September 2014

JONATHAN Margetts’ 55th-minute strike inflicted a first defeat of the season on Oxford City in their Vanarama Conference North clash at Harrogate Town on Saturday, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.

ROWING: Oxfordshire oarsmen star in Great Britain gold rush

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Monday 1st September 2014

GREAT Britain’s men’s eight successfully defended their title with a stunning display in Amsterdam yesterday.

FOOTBALL: North Leigh suffer shock home loss

Oxford Mail:

8:10am Monday 1st September 2014

NORTH Leigh suffered a surprise 2-1 defeat as visitors Flackwell Heath progressed to the next round courtesy of a controversial winning goal in their FA Cup preliminary round tie on Saturday.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:16pm Thu 22 May 14

The Kirkintilloch Exile says...

First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears!

The Kirky Exile
First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears! The Kirky Exile The Kirkintilloch Exile
  • Score: 1

1:40pm Thu 22 May 14

dave from witney says...

The Kirkintilloch Exile wrote:
First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears!

The Kirky Exile
It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances.

He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side.
[quote][p][bold]The Kirkintilloch Exile[/bold] wrote: First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears! The Kirky Exile[/p][/quote]It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances. He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side. dave from witney
  • Score: 8

2:15pm Thu 22 May 14

Richard Wickson says...

dave from witney wrote:
The Kirkintilloch Exile wrote:
First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears!

The Kirky Exile
It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances.

He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side.
Hear hear Dave. Totally agree with you. It's time to move on , sign lads who want to play for OU and apart from the statistic that JC is the 2nd highest scorer in OU's history forget him. At least the OM can drop that awful line "also known as Beano" now. Thanks James for what you did but Cheerio.
[quote][p][bold]dave from witney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Kirkintilloch Exile[/bold] wrote: First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears! The Kirky Exile[/p][/quote]It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances. He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side.[/p][/quote]Hear hear Dave. Totally agree with you. It's time to move on , sign lads who want to play for OU and apart from the statistic that JC is the 2nd highest scorer in OU's history forget him. At least the OM can drop that awful line "also known as Beano" now. Thanks James for what you did but Cheerio. Richard Wickson
  • Score: -6

4:10pm Thu 22 May 14

oldun says...

Richard Wickson wrote:
dave from witney wrote:
The Kirkintilloch Exile wrote:
First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears!

The Kirky Exile
It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances.

He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side.
Hear hear Dave. Totally agree with you. It's time to move on , sign lads who want to play for OU and apart from the statistic that JC is the 2nd highest scorer in OU's history forget him. At least the OM can drop that awful line "also known as Beano" now. Thanks James for what you did but Cheerio.
"Occasionally known as James" was more appropriate
[quote][p][bold]Richard Wickson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dave from witney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Kirkintilloch Exile[/bold] wrote: First we lose Wilder, can’t win a game and now Beano; looks like the new regime are tightening their grip. It’s an ill wind that blows through the club; this can only end in tears! The Kirky Exile[/p][/quote]It really needs to be time that we move on regarding Constable. Surely we all accept that he took too few of his chances in the league. He was reportedly on pretty good money so if we are going to offer top money for a striker, we have to get one who can take more of those chances. He was offered a new contract which he declined and signed for a non league club. That seems to indicate that if other league clubs were interested then they were only offering the same kind of money that was on offer here. The Club needs to announce a new signing, striker or otherwise a.s.a.p. to get the fans thinking a little more on the positive side.[/p][/quote]Hear hear Dave. Totally agree with you. It's time to move on , sign lads who want to play for OU and apart from the statistic that JC is the 2nd highest scorer in OU's history forget him. At least the OM can drop that awful line "also known as Beano" now. Thanks James for what you did but Cheerio.[/p][/quote]"Occasionally known as James" was more appropriate oldun
  • Score: 4

5:42pm Thu 22 May 14

South Upper 87 says...

It is as others have said, time to move on. The club needs to give us some good news....and quickly to keep the wavering fans onside. Season ticket renewals are arriving and it has to be said that the PR at the club is at an all time low.
It is as others have said, time to move on. The club needs to give us some good news....and quickly to keep the wavering fans onside. Season ticket renewals are arriving and it has to be said that the PR at the club is at an all time low. South Upper 87
  • Score: 7

8:47pm Thu 22 May 14

87oufc says...

Just heard JCs interview. Very touching when he's asked about his reaction to the fans appraisal of him. It is a real shame things haven't worked out for JC in the last few seasons.
But that is the reason many of us fans feel the change for James is at the right time.
I have been very critical of Constable for the last few seasons but we know what he was capable of and just want him to do well.
Interview here, at ~8:45
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/programmes/p01yppy6
Just heard JCs interview. Very touching when he's asked about his reaction to the fans appraisal of him. It is a real shame things haven't worked out for JC in the last few seasons. But that is the reason many of us fans feel the change for James is at the right time. I have been very critical of Constable for the last few seasons but we know what he was capable of and just want him to do well. Interview here, at ~8:45 http://www.bbc.co.uk /programmes/p01yppy6 87oufc
  • Score: 4

10:06pm Thu 22 May 14

osney terrier says...

Eastleigh FC are thrilled to announce the signing, on a two-year contract, of former Walsall, Kidderminster Harriers and Shrewsbury Town striker James Constable.
Its like he never played for us,they could have thrown Chippenham in for good measure
Eastleigh FC are thrilled to announce the signing, on a two-year contract, of former Walsall, Kidderminster Harriers and Shrewsbury Town striker James Constable. Its like he never played for us,they could have thrown Chippenham in for good measure osney terrier
  • Score: 3

9:31am Fri 23 May 14

bigchet says...

just watched the ripping yarns golden gordon which is brilliant and gordon epitomises what i and no doubt other utd fans are feeling right now.
just watched the ripping yarns golden gordon which is brilliant and gordon epitomises what i and no doubt other utd fans are feeling right now. bigchet
  • Score: 2

11:52am Fri 23 May 14

jonny1976 says...

Constable will be paired with his old strike partner Midson who also signed for them today
Constable will be paired with his old strike partner Midson who also signed for them today jonny1976
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree