Oxford Shooting Stars, the recreational team affiliated to Oxford City Stars, captured their first silverware with a 15-14 aggregate victory over the RAF Bluewings in the Southern Conference Plate final.
Following an 8-7 victory in the first leg, Oxford upset the odds against their more fancied rivals with a 7-7 draw.
With the tie on a knife-edge at 14-14, Chris Povey, a newcomer to the sport and owner of a comic book store in Headington, stepped up like a superhero seven minutes from time to give Stars the aggregate victory.
Steve Lygo and Slovakian Matus Michalek had struck for Stars in the first period, which ended with the Bluewings 3-2 ahead.
Captain Thomas Kosar and Lygo’s solo effort netted for Stars in the second period, but the RAF men once again had the upper hand with three more goals to lead 13-12 on aggregate.
Kosar brought the overall score level in the opening seconds of the final period, before Dusan Lepis fired Stars ahead.
The Bluewings hit back to make it 14-14 on aggregate, but Povey had the final word, with some stunning netminding from man of the match Petr Larysch, plus brave defending from Martin Bureau and James Schall preserving their advantage.
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France