Oxford Shooting Stars, the recreational team affiliated to Oxford City Stars, captured their first silverware with a 15-14 aggregate victory over the RAF Bluewings in the Southern Conference Plate final.
Following an 8-7 victory in the first leg, Oxford upset the odds against their more fancied rivals with a 7-7 draw.
With the tie on a knife-edge at 14-14, Chris Povey, a newcomer to the sport and owner of a comic book store in Headington, stepped up like a superhero seven minutes from time to give Stars the aggregate victory.
Steve Lygo and Slovakian Matus Michalek had struck for Stars in the first period, which ended with the Bluewings 3-2 ahead.
Captain Thomas Kosar and Lygo’s solo effort netted for Stars in the second period, but the RAF men once again had the upper hand with three more goals to lead 13-12 on aggregate.
Kosar brought the overall score level in the opening seconds of the final period, before Dusan Lepis fired Stars ahead.
The Bluewings hit back to make it 14-14 on aggregate, but Povey had the final word, with some stunning netminding from man of the match Petr Larysch, plus brave defending from Martin Bureau and James Schall preserving their advantage.
- Oxford United sign striker Kane Hemmings from Dundee in six-figure move
- WATCH: Videos of Oxford United's new signing Kane Hemmings scoring for Dundee
- Oxford United set for double signing to boost firepower after friendly defeat by Brighton
- Oxford United's EFL Trophy group opponents include Chelsea and Swindon Town + POLL
- CRICKET: Tom Condon's century keeps up Aston Rowant's Cherwell title challenge
- AUNT SALLY: Darren Cox's super 16 renews Florence Park's title bid
- CRICKET: Rob Owen's super century helps Faringdon bounce back with Charlbury victory
- Oxford United 0, Brighton & Hove Albion 4 (Knockaert 17, Cadman 67, Hemed 76 & 85)
- Updates - Oxford United v Brighton & HA
- Oxford United willing to pay fee to sign goalscorer - Michael Appleton