Oxford Shooting Stars, the recreational team affiliated to Oxford City Stars, captured their first silverware with a 15-14 aggregate victory over the RAF Bluewings in the Southern Conference Plate final.
Following an 8-7 victory in the first leg, Oxford upset the odds against their more fancied rivals with a 7-7 draw.
With the tie on a knife-edge at 14-14, Chris Povey, a newcomer to the sport and owner of a comic book store in Headington, stepped up like a superhero seven minutes from time to give Stars the aggregate victory.
Steve Lygo and Slovakian Matus Michalek had struck for Stars in the first period, which ended with the Bluewings 3-2 ahead.
Captain Thomas Kosar and Lygo’s solo effort netted for Stars in the second period, but the RAF men once again had the upper hand with three more goals to lead 13-12 on aggregate.
Kosar brought the overall score level in the opening seconds of the final period, before Dusan Lepis fired Stars ahead.
The Bluewings hit back to make it 14-14 on aggregate, but Povey had the final word, with some stunning netminding from man of the match Petr Larysch, plus brave defending from Martin Bureau and James Schall preserving their advantage.
- Michael Appleton delighted at four-midable Oxford United display
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory at Rochdale
- Oxford United's win at Rochdale made amends for setbacks at AFC Wimbledon and Port Vale - Michael Appleton
- RUGBY UNION: Conor Kearns elected Oxford University captain
- Rochdale 0, Oxford United 4 (Johnson 18, Hall 29, Taylor 53, Ledson 73)
- UPDATES - Rochdale v Oxford United
- Oxford United handed boost with key Rochdale defender serving suspension
- Marvin Johnson looking for more of the same when Oxford United visit Rochdale
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re recharged for busy league and cup schedule
- SWIMMING: David Murphy delivers masterclass to set more records at Arena Pro Swim Series