BAFA NATIONAL CENTRAL CONFERENCE
OXFORD Saints continued their superb start to the season with a 14-0 victory at Leicester Falcons to record a third straight success.
The win keeps Oxford on top of the table after previous triumphs over Lincolnshire Bombers and Sandwell Steelers.
Saints started slowly against Leicester, struggling to find their rhythm early on, both sides not helped by the heat.
Neither was able to find a breakthrough in the opening period, but Saints soon went ahead in the second.
A thundering drive from running backs Stephen Bentley, Kev Brooks and James Ferrigno put Oxford in distance of the line.
And Ferrigno was in the right place to dive over to open the scoring.
Saints decided to go for two extra points after the touchdown and once again Ferrigno was given the ball.
He charged through to put Oxford 8-0 ahead.
Leicester hit back and enjoyed some good possession, but their progress was halted by a fine interception from Martin Fitzpatrick.
With time running out, veteran linebacker Dean Bryan intercepted another pass and Bentley broke straight through the Falcons’ defence for a superb touchdown from 27 yards to seal victory.
Saints bid to make it four out of four when they entertain Peterborough Saxons on June 1 in their first home game of the season at Abingdon Rugby Club (2.30).
Latest Sport news
- Callum O'Dowda's slim Euro 2016 hopes look over after watching Ireland draw
- GOLF: Poor start sees Eddie Pepperell miss Wentworth cut
- YOUTH CRICKET: Ben Charlesworth takes centre stage with two impressive knocks
- MOTORSPORT: Williams' Valtteri Bottas on a mission to end his Monaco hoodoo in F1
- POINT-TO-POINT: Alan Hill hoping for Kingston Blount glory
- BOXING: Clarke and Robinson claim wins for Blackbird Leys
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands