BAFA NATIONAL CENTRAL CONFERENCE
OXFORD Saints continued their superb start to the season with a 14-0 victory at Leicester Falcons to record a third straight success.
The win keeps Oxford on top of the table after previous triumphs over Lincolnshire Bombers and Sandwell Steelers.
Saints started slowly against Leicester, struggling to find their rhythm early on, both sides not helped by the heat.
Neither was able to find a breakthrough in the opening period, but Saints soon went ahead in the second.
A thundering drive from running backs Stephen Bentley, Kev Brooks and James Ferrigno put Oxford in distance of the line.
And Ferrigno was in the right place to dive over to open the scoring.
Saints decided to go for two extra points after the touchdown and once again Ferrigno was given the ball.
He charged through to put Oxford 8-0 ahead.
Leicester hit back and enjoyed some good possession, but their progress was halted by a fine interception from Martin Fitzpatrick.
With time running out, veteran linebacker Dean Bryan intercepted another pass and Bentley broke straight through the Falcons’ defence for a superb touchdown from 27 yards to seal victory.
Saints bid to make it four out of four when they entertain Peterborough Saxons on June 1 in their first home game of the season at Abingdon Rugby Club (2.30).
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas